Discuss Joining White LED strip to existing RGB LED strip - can I do it? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey all,

We have an RGB led strip behind a tiled wall , and lights a little shelf in the shower area.
The RGB strip has become faulty probably due to steam - it has changed from white to green.

I want to cut away most of it , join some white only waterproof strip , tape up the join and feed the join back through the small gap where it comes out of.
I cant get access to replace the full thing or I would.

any advice appriciated

Davie.

Shelf:
shelf.png
rgb:
1rgb.png
White:
1white.png

Forgetting about whether the power supply can handle it….

The 12v+ at the top of both strips can be connected together.

As you see, the 3 colour has - for Red, Blue and Green. The combination of all 3 these gives the white light.

If you connect the - of the single white to any one of the RGB, you will only get that colour.
You might be able to connect to ALL of the RG and B to give white, but then that’s 3 times the load.

It looks as though only the green channel actually works, so it might be completely knackered.
Or it could be the RGB controller and not the tape itself that’s faulty.

Hey @littlespark , Thanks for this.
Will the RGB act as a negative for the white only strip that Im adding?

That was the part I was unsure of - the power isnt an issue - its 12v on a very short run of strip and the + is fine , its just the white strip has a negative but the RGB strip has no negative connection.

Last edited:
There is 3 negatives… each going through one of the 3 colours.

You can have individual chips going bad on a tape like this, but it seems you have no red or blue at all.
Hopefully it is the controller at fault and not the tape, if it’s difficult to replace

Thanks @littlespark Im going to try to solder the white LED tape on - didnt want to try if not possible but looks like I have a chance.

Really appreciate your input.
Just be careful that the solder doesn’t short out between the + and the - next to it.
It’s only 12v, so there’s no harm if it doesn’t work…
Maybe try the controller on a good bit of tape first on a bench before fitting it all in.

Just be careful that the solder doesn’t short out between the + and the - next to it.
It’s only 12v, so there’s no harm if it doesn’t work…
Maybe try the controller on a good bit of tape first on a bench before fitting it all in.
Positive to +12V and negative to G let me install the white only strip - the R and B channels are dead.

Thanks again!!!

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Joining White LED strip to existing RGB LED strip - can I do it? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net