Discuss Just doing an EICR today and in a quandary... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

So there is no earth to the light fitting, well there is it's terminated in the black terminal box above it. However there is no connection of earth to the light. It's a JCC I think circa 10 years old or maybe less. Also the supply to the lamp holder is in singles from the termination box. There are around thirty of them throughout the flat. Now if you look up this light JCC it's Class II, although all metal. I'm thinking if the live came out of the lampholder and you were changing the lamp it could get interesting up that ladder! And the singles bugs me as well. But suggesting they should be changed with a C2 means 30 lamps at £xx could get pricey. Perhaps I am being too picky? What say you?IMG_3610.JPG

that brown/blue wire/s is part of the fitting. if you are being picky, you'd have to condemn all the fittings.

Nay it's not double-insulated which is technically a problem but then ten years ago who would have worried about it? Yes I could easily take the view that its Class II but what worries me is it does not carry the logo of Class II. And anyway its patently clear on a common sense level it could present a danger there are 30 odd lamps in there and they do tend to go so someone is going to be up and down changing them regularly. The lampholder just floats around inside the housing giving rise to stress on the single insulated cables. But yeh maybe I am making something out of nothing, might C3 it just to cover my derriere. Will phone JCC tomorrow, I see TLC still sell them.
240v 50w GU10 Halogen Fire Rated Downlight - Chrome - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD50C.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o9&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=GUFRD50C&product_partition_id=174054929347&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6MDwjZqF2AIVh5PtCh3qzARhEAQYCSABEgJ-1PD_BwE

have to condemn all the fittings
Agreed which is quite an onerous task for the landlord at some cost. So I am thinking carefully on what to say about them to be fair to the landlord while not compromising on safety. If it was a couple in the bathroom, well maybe ok but in every room like 12 in the living room, they obviously liked downlighters.

Those conductors will not be double insulated but they should have reinforced insulation for that to be Class II.

Are you sure it's class 2? The manufacturers instructions say "Class 2 termination with earth provided" but I notice they also have the double square symbol which mayt be misleading. That could just mean the terminal box is class 2 and the rest of the fitting is class 1. Have you got a photo of inside the terminal block as it's possible the earth terminal is connected to the metal bracket that holds the terminal block to the light fitting?

Disconnect either the blue or brown wire going into the light fitting and see if there’s reinforced insulation around the copper conductor.
Single insulated conductors should be enclosed through out their run , whether this applies to the manufacturers wires ......... probably I’d say.

The fittings according to the data sheet is double insulated
and the singles are heat resistant
The responsibility for the classification of the fitting is the manufacturer

Personally,I think as long as the fixed wiring does what it says on the tin,there is no problem, certainly no responsibility on the tester should any of the fears become real

Didn't go that far as to check for double insulation. Maybe I'll just let it go then.
as it's possible the earth terminal is connected to the metal bracket that holds the terminal block to the light fitting?
Yes I wondered that and did check if there was any such connection but no there is not. In any event I was doing R1/R2 and there is definitely no continuity on the metal body of the fitting or lampholder whereas there is inside the black termination box where the cables are. And anyway there is no RCD on the lighting, and the same lights are used in the bathroom. Two of which are directly above the bath. But fear not those two are at least IP44 with a glass cover over the lamp.

Reply to Just doing an EICR today and in a quandary... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net