• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Just had my first cancellation due to Corona. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had a domestic job booked in the diary for the 30th of this month and the guy has just texted me that he usually works on the rigs but they have cancelled all people going out until August due to Corona?!.He doesn't get paid unless he's there so he needs all the money he can get at the moment and so has had to cancel his planned electrical work.
I wonder if this will be the start of something.....?

According to BBC news, when Northern Ireland close their schools it will be for 16 weeks. Then there will be a 6 week break for the summer holidays.
How are people supposed to survive on £94 a week? (If they give out sick pay for schools closing)

Have a mate who runs a large format printing company. They’ve had £80k in orders cancelled last week due to exhibitions and shows being cancelled. Chairman not taking a wage till June. Going on a four day week.

I work at power generation sites all over the country. A few have gone on 'lock down' and not allowing any contractors in unless it's an emergency. One of the places I've worked at recently was talking about bringing in portable sleeping accomodation and making their staff stay on site. I know what my reply to that would be!

A friend of mine is in a band and also DJs he told me on Thursday that 80% of his bookings have already cancelled.
some had paid a deposit, some had not.
he reckons it could force him to the brink of bankruptcy
scary times ahead

As for myself I have had 4 small jobs cancel already this month...
about £500 worth of work so not a disaster but I can’t afford to lose too many more jobs.
i am Literally dreading my phone beeping as I know it will be a customer cancelling their job

Had to substitute all of the light fittings on a stable yard refurb on Monday as the ones we originally specified for the job are all on back order and will not be available until later in the year , apparently due to the virus.

Had to substitute all of the light fittings on a stable yard refurb on Monday as the ones we originally specified for the job are all on back order and will not be available until later in the year , apparently due to the virus.

i know someone who imports sporting goods in from China.
he can’t get anything into the country , not a single order is leaving China. Not sure if that’s down to them or lack of flights but not a sausage is getting dispatched

Workwise, the way things are going, it may get down to emergencies only for some.

If that's the case, hold things together though. Something tells me it may get a bit 'hell for leather' in a few months time.

One of the places I've worked at recently was talking about bringing in portable sleeping accomodation and making their staff stay on site. I know what my reply to that would be!

I suspect you'll find that in the Terms and conditions of all infrastructure, local authority and government employees and the like, there will be a line that roughly says, in the event of a national emergency all employees will work as directed.
If that means lockin that's what they do.

I work at power generation sites all over the country. A few have gone on 'lock down' and not allowing any contractors in unless it's an emergency. One of the places I've worked at recently was talking about bringing in portable sleeping accomodation and making their staff stay on site. I know what my reply to that would be!

If I'm at work I'm getting paid, if I'm isolated at work due to the company rules then I would be demanding overtime for the time I'm on site, otherwise I'm out the door

I've had 3 companies now delay contracts and saying only critical visits for business allowed, I have other options but sympathise for those who don't.

A friend of mine is in a band and also DJs he told me on Thursday that 80% of his bookings have already cancelled.
some had paid a deposit, some had not.
he reckons it could force him to the brink of bankruptcy
scary times ahead
at least he can keep the deposits. it's not his fault that clients are panicking.

I’ve not had any jobs cancelled yet, but I think I should put off a few as the customers are elderly and in poor health.
Still looking for a little hand sanatiser tub for the van

I've not had any cancellations but not had much new work coming in.
Sort of suits me as I'm renovating my new house before we move in. Does leave me a bit worried about a month or so time though as I'm currently paying two mortgages with not much work on the go.

I got a few jobs booked which I think could be cancelled. Have had to fit an extra EV install in before 1st April grant changes.
Otherwise, most of my jobs are quite big. One is full garden lighting install. Can do that without coming near customer and lights are fed from fuse board under stairs in hallway.
Do have some which I can see being delayed due to virus.
I have one arranged to fit a load of Highbays in a commercial unit. If they are closed I may still go in if I can arrange the tower hire still.
Interesting times ahead...
My view on the emergency call outs is that if you have had it and ain't at deaths door then keep working, as others will not. You then are not going to infect the customer it seems. If you haven't had it then its a risk but you are likely to get it at some point anyway. Just gauge how sick the customers are. Wear gloves, mask and visor. Then wipe down.
I got litres of hand sanitiser now. Made my own from bac50 in big live style.

Reply to Just had my first cancellation due to Corona. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back