Discuss Just had my first cancellation due to Corona. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've just got back from looking at a job and when they asked me how much I thought it might cost I replied, 240 rolls of Andrex toilet paper :tearsofjoy:

well, we just bought our retirement island in the Bahamas.
1584379840596.png

It they banned all inbound travel, how would the hundreds of thousands of UK holiday makers have got home?

In a situation like this common sense would dictate they ain't coming back in, sure provide them with financial assistance (so they can say they're abandoned) but as for coming back in, hell no!

At a guess I'd say holidaymakers set off just as this pandemic started in China and still chose to travel so knew what could happen, maybe not to this extent but still.

In a situation like this common sense would dictate they ain't coming back in, sure provide them with financial assistance (so they can say they're abandoned) but as for coming back in, hell no!

At a guess I'd say holidaymakers set off just as this pandemic started in China and still chose to travel so knew what could happen, maybe not to this extent but still.

Unrealistic and very expensive. Couple that with the fact that they would have more chance of catching it if they had to stay there, and also the fact their jobs in the UK wouldn't get done (and many may be nurses, doctors, police, paramedics, etc)

4 o'clock this afternoon two of our clients shut the doors on us.
Sadly it's going to get worse quite quickly. I was up Morrisons this morning with an elderly chap getting some welsh slate from the newly opened gardening centre located straight outside. The cashier said don't go in the store as a fight was in progress and the police had been called.
It was over toilet paper.

I wish I could go back in time I would of purchased tons of it, forget gold and silver, bog paper is currently trading at 5 quid a gram :tearsofjoy:

Next week's rewire cancelled today due to the customer self isolating. I had a mild panic attack this morning thinking of all the consequences of the current state of things for my immediate and extended family.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more it is not too long ago this wasn't happening to us but now it is rapidly escalating. I can see this country turning into uncontrolled chaos.

Next week's rewire cancelled today due to the customer self isolating. I had a mild panic attack this morning thinking of all the consequences for my immediate and extended family.
And this is the next problem. I speak to hundreds of people all over the globe via different forums surrounding different subjects. I've been on these forums for over 10 years so like here after time you get to know who is who.
As more and more case are coming to light people are posting on these forums who are infected with the virus. Last night I was speaking to a mum who has a daughter in New York. Last week a couple of chaps one who is from Spain and the other in the Netherlands. I guess for the past 6 weeks now I've been chatting to quite a few people suffering from this. All of them have made (or are making recovery) the symptoms are the same as really bad flu, and anybody that has had really bad flu knows it is not nice. But in most cases survivable. The difference though with this is it's a lot more contagious. I guess that's why the panic is really set in. Lastly everyone I've spoke to has recovered in 14 days or less, the first few days are rough, then it get easier from there on in. Everyone recovered has also not reported being infected again. I'm not sure if this post helps or not but I know some people are in panic mode that we are not being told the complete truth, so I just wanted to post what I've been told by 'eyes on the ground' all over the world.. From the horses mouth if you like (so to speak)

I’m literally bricking it now as both myself and my wife both self employed

I have had at least 50% of my bookings cancel or postpone

my wife is looking like she will barely have enough work to see out the month

yikes

I have been commuting from the other side the Boston Lincolnshire the Buckinghamshire for the last 13 years and today was the quietest on the roads it has been since I started doing so.
We have being kicked off two jobs today , for the foreseeable future.
Not too worried long term as we are mainly agricultural an equestrian so we don't tend to work around others.
Even so , I have mentioned to the lads I think we'll be going on half weeks before long !?

Grrrrr....Just had an email from the office about how the office staff can work from home. What about us field workers. I live in south Wales, I'm currently in a hotel is Scotland and from Wed onwards in a hotel in Retford, Nottinghamshire. Not much chance of me self isolating. God I hate office workers!

And this is the next problem. I speak to hundreds of people all over the globe via different forums surrounding different subjects. I've been on these forums for over 10 years so like here after time you get to know who is who.
As more and more case are coming to light people are posting on these forums who are infected with the virus. Last night I was speaking to a mum who has a daughter in New York. Last week a couple of chaps one who is from Spain and the other in the Netherlands. I guess for the past 6 weeks now I've been chatting to quite a few people suffering from this. All of them have made (or are making recovery) the symptoms are the same as really bad flu, and anybody that has had really bad flu knows it is not nice. But in most cases survivable. The difference though with this is it's a lot more contagious. I guess that's why the panic is really set in. Lastly everyone I've spoke to has recovered in 14 days or less, the first few days are rough, then it get easier from there on in. Everyone recovered has also not reported being infected again. I'm not sure if this post helps or not but I know some people are in panic mode that we are not being told the complete truth, so I just wanted to post what I've been told by 'eyes on the ground' all over the world.. From the horses mouth if you like (so to speak)

Yes, I've done a lot of research on the illness and it's not the virus I'm worried about, it's the effects of nationwide disruption, no work, no money, no food, no access to healthcare etc.
If all reports about the virus are correct then the flu I had last Christmas was a lot worse. The societal problems however are truly terrifying.

Its weird, I have cancelled 2 jobs at customers request. Got a few quotes to do this week.
At the same time I got a major car charger manufacturer I sub contract for asking me for dates to install the chargers over next several weeks. Seems optimistic in circumstances but booking them in right up until mid May. Customers have paid for the charger and paid for install so its a case of when do they want it fitted... Got me thinking that all the reduction in flights, cruises, and cars/trucks etc must be doing wonders for the atmosphere.

Reply to Just had my first cancellation due to Corona. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net