Discuss Just had my first cancellation due to Corona. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes, I've done a lot of research on the illness and it's not the virus I'm worried about, it's the effects of nationwide disruption, no work, no money, no food, no access to healthcare etc.
If all reports about the virus are correct then the flu I had last Christmas was a lot worse. The societal problems however are truly terrifying.
I believe it wont be long before martial law is here.
I'm just starting a massive planting operation on Wednesday, I have access to fields out in the sticks. Also got some crayfish traps and a whole host of other things to live of the land. Luckily my grandfather brought me up and he was a bit of a Bear Grylls. I could just grow enough for family etc but I'm not like that. I've struggled through life and still do today if I'm to be honest, we're all here for a reason and I don't know if there is a God or not but I try to live by a 'Right' moral I've always had since I was a small child. I can't help anybody with money or work, but I will share what I grow and catch. I know about the value of natural medical stuff, like wild garlic for example which currently I'm about to plant over 1000 seeds of. Give me a shout if things get rough, you and everybody else that needs anything are welcome. I know it's not much but it's all I've got. We're not all alone in this, we're all in the same sh*t now!

It is what it is. We all know it's going to get worse but it's a situation of getting through it. It's an unknown for the vast majority but let's keep our heads down and see what comes of it. A lot of people are going to be affected, one way or another....some a lot worse than others but change occurs. Just think of 1939. There are loads of folk, still around, who lived in those times and experienced loss of loved ones, nightly blackouts and lived with food rationing until 1954. They are the ones at most risk now and are probably among the most mentally hardy of all.
A case of pulling together is probably going to be a necessity.
It's not going to affect us like the black plague did, with death on every corner, so let's get on with it and see what comes.
I fear for loved ones and the business but I just hope that people in general show respect and dignity where required....and don't go overboard.
Que sera sera.

The south of Ireland has stated that it will pay the self-employed who have lost work as a result of CoVid-19 the Bru rate of €203 per week and that no business will be allowed to fail. Hopefully Boris will see fit to follow suit.

The south of Ireland has stated that it will pay the self-employed who have lost work as a result of CoVid-19 the Bru rate of €203 per week and that no business will be allowed to fail. Hopefully Boris will see fit to follow suit.

I can't see where all that money would come from though. It would be a huge amount.

I can't see where all that money would come from though. It would be a huge amount.
Given that schools are seemingly closing, along with art venues etc then I'd hope any funds for the immediate running of those are diverted. Anything deemed as non-essential during this virus period should have its immediate funding diverted. Healthcare would say and possibly get an injection (no pun intended), Education should see funds diverted, same with Arts, I want to say military should have its budget diverted but I think they'll get called in before long.

Given that schools are seemingly closing, along with art venues etc then I'd hope any funds for the immediate running of those are diverted.

Is that to make sure that all of us working in the arts are guaranteed to have our livelihoods destroyed?
You'd take the money that keeps thousands of us employed and steal it away right when it is needed the most as there is no other money coming in to the industry?

Is that to make sure that all of us working in the arts are guaranteed to have our livelihoods destroyed?
You'd take the money that keeps thousands of us employed and steal it away right when it is needed the most as there is no other money coming in to the industry?
Not quite, obviously pay wages but any new projects or things currently under construction should cease and staff put on SSP, that way people still get an income (as crap as it is), otherwise it's throwing money away in the short term - Why pour funding into places that are closed, it make no sense, pay wages yes but nothing else.

If the gov have any sense (unlikely) then they'd do well to ban bonuses at high levels and take the monies and put them to public use.

i posted what might have been construes as funny. it was deleted. however, it was not posted with any evil intent. although apparently funny, it reflected in the situatuin we have now. MPs, bosses, all suits on salary, can go home, lock themselves in, ride it out in the knowledge that their (sometime exhorbitant) salaries will be paid into their bulging bank accounts for the duration. what about all the weekly workers getting laid off without pay? dole money don't pay the rent or food bills. schools shutting, so 1 parent has to stay home with an income of ziltch. companies closing down as they can't get materials. so my deleted post was relevant.

i posted what might have been construes as funny. it was deleted. however, it was not posted with any evil intent. although apparently funny, it reflected in the situatuin we have now. MPs, bosses, all suits on salary, can go home, lock themselves in, ride it out in the knowledge that their (sometime exhorbitant) salaries will be paid into their bulging bank accounts for the duration. what about all the weekly workers getting laid off without pay? dole money don't pay the rent or food bills. schools shutting, so 1 parent has to stay home with an income of ziltch. companies closing down as they can't get materials. so my deleted post was relevant.
Aye, if we lose our sense of humour we will be even deeper in the mire.
Geordie S wouldn't half be shaking his head looking down on that.

Not quite, obviously pay wages but any new projects or things currently under construction should cease and staff put on SSP, that way people still get an income (as crap as it is), otherwise it's throwing money away in the short term - Why pour funding into places that are closed, it make no sense, pay wages yes but nothing else.

If the gov have any sense (unlikely) then they'd do well to ban bonuses at high levels and take the monies and put them to public use.

SSP is a joke and cannot support a person.

Continue funding places that are closed so that people have jobs to go back to.
How do you expect a theatre or other entertainment venue to pay their rent and bills without funding?

How do you expect a theatre or other entertainment venue to pay their rent and bills without funding?
….and I think folk are going to need a bit of 'entertaining' when this little lot has run it's course.

How can they ban bonuses and take the money?
The money people get as bonuses belongs to the companies that give the bonuses, the government cannot just seize money from a company, that's outright theft and a complete abuse of their power.
That sort of thing happens in dictatorships!

Local news tonight saw theatres with cancelled shows emploring customers to donate their ticket fees to keep them going. Sad times indeed for the arts.

If a place is closed, logic dictates it requires fewer resources, uses less power etc so has smaller overheads, surely you can see that?

As for rents, it's clear government (as ---- as they might be) can and are putting measures in place to prevent evictions due to non-payments. I wouldn't be surprised if emergency legislation is put in place to deal with utilities and the threat of supply terminations for non-payment.

I would hope emergency legislation is put in place forcing bonuses etc to be diverted to a central pot, they can do such a thing, they just need the spine and balls to do it.

Do fatcats need several 100 thousands on bonuses? Do they -------s, it's the thick end of the wedge that will benefit from it more. In a situation like this, government turning into Robin Hood wouldn't be a bad thing, it's a huge problem and everyone will be taking a bite, let those that can shoulder a financial reduction do so and divert the funds gained to those that can't.

It's not rocket science, dictatoral sure, if that's what you want to call it, but it serves to help the many, not the few.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do fatcats need several 100 thousands on bonuses? Do they -------s, it's the thick end of the wedge that will benefit from it more. In a situation like this, government turning into Robin Hood wouldn't be a bad thing, it's a huge problem and everyone will be taking a bite, let those that can shoulder a financial reduction do so and divert the funds gained to those that can't.

It's not rocket science, dictatoral sure, if that's what you want to call it, but it serves to help the many, not the few.

The government stealing from private individuals or companies would be a bad thing, a terrible thing.
Do they 'need' big bonuses? Maybe not, but if the giveement was to steal their bonuses from them they will quit their jobs and work in anothe rcountry or take their whole buisness and move it to another country, and shortly after that this country's economy will be destroyed.

If you're going to allow the government to steal money from whoever they choose then what else will you let them do?
Maybe they should take control of food production and the supply of basic supplies etc and control the distribution?

The government stealing from private individuals or companies would be a bad thing, a terrible thing.
Do they 'need' big bonuses? Maybe not, but if the giveement was to steal their bonuses from them they will quit their jobs and work in anothe rcountry or take their whole buisness and move it to another country, and shortly after that this country's economy will be destroyed.

If you're going to allow the government to steal money from whoever they choose then what else will you let them do?
Maybe they should take control of food production and the supply of basic supplies etc and control the distribution?
They could offset it via tax breaks or whatnot, it's not going to be the terrible thing it's appears in print.

Reply to Just had my first cancellation due to Corona. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net