Discuss Just starting out - advice appreciated, banter gratefully received! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well, business cards arrived, STROMA registration under way, ordering my MFT today too, and there's a start-up business support program up here so a crash course in book keeping, tax returns, advertising and other bits and pieces booked with them (that was a freeby, so why not take it?), and my first jobs booked in (one commercial installing sockets and lights, a couple of domestic additional circuits and one freebie complete rewire for someone I know needing consumer unit change and supply to a garage on top of a full rewire on a top to bottom renovation property - the experience is valuable to me and they are on a very tight budget). So, lets see how things pan out once my CPS registration comes through and I can get started. Need to do the consumer unit at my house too and separate the upstairs and downstairs lighting as they are currently on the same CB, and put a supply in to my utility room since it's not actually connected to anything at the moment and the previous owner just chucked an extension lead into there for the washing machine.

Still trying to suss out how to filter the nuisance calls, getting bombarded with "extremely good value" advertising in mags and publications I have never, ever heard of!

Also... Trying to get my supplier to stick an isolator between meter and consumer unit so I can actually work on it but they have told me anything up to 8 weeks or more for that. Is that a normal timescale? Seems excessive to me! Weirdly I have two fuses in line from two service heads (house used to be two flats), it's not really a problem, just a bit strange!

Have you got 2 incoming mains services then. Do they both go to a meter? Daz

Have you got 2 incoming mains services then. Do they both go to a meter? Daz

Nah I did think that. They have taken the incoming from downstairs, through the fuse and straight out to the old upstairs service head then out to a meter. Two incoming supplies was the first thing I checked! That would have been handy lol! Bit when the fuse, er, fell out of the downstairs head and the power went off, shortly before the upstairs fuse, er, fell out, knocking the power off, thats when I realised that the fuses were in series. I just need the buggers to come and stick my isolator in so I can get rid of the fiasco thats going on in my CU! Would rather do it legitimately than wait for another fuse to, er, fall out...

Reply to Just starting out - advice appreciated, banter gratefully received! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net