Discuss Kitchen on own circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The reason I ask is that I have been in maybe 4 or 5 brand new houses made by various different builders and wired by different companies, and you get various circuits, then you get two circuits called "sockets", not up and down, front and bs k, left and right, crossways, diagonal or sideways, and no kitchen circuit.

so just two vaguely labelled socket circuits and no kitchen circuit.

i thought kitchens were supposed to be in their own circuit? Or are these houses just wired by Cowboys? It wouldn't suprise me as I have seen some shocking work in these new houses.

Think the only reason a kitchen would be on its own is to get the loads evenly distributed around the circuit. Just on a job now thats a bed sit, i am putting a kitchen ring then a bedroom ring in with 3 sockets on it, nah

A new-build house I was in recently did not have a separate circuit for the kitchen sockets, all the ground floor was one circuit. However, there were separate radials for appliances such as dishwasher, washing machine, dryer.

The only snag was that these appliances all had isolation switches on the wall, not above a worktop but an open wall, in a place where you might think they are light switches. And at the low-level required by Part M. So the kids and even adults turn them off by mistake.

I personally always put it on its own RFC, I'm sure it's somewhere probably like you say guidance, personally if you are building s new house it should be split better.

A new-build house I was in recently did not have a separate circuit for the kitchen sockets, all the ground floor was one circuit. However, there were separate radials for appliances such as dishwasher, washing machine, dryer.

The only snag was that these appliances all had isolation switches on the wall, not above a worktop but an open wall, in a place where you might think they are light switches. And at the low-level required by Part M. So the kids and even adults turn them off by mistake.

sounds pony! Marked up grid switch on a ring would of been better.

It's shocking that the sockets were just labelled sockets and not up or down etc, it's not good, you can tell standards are dropping.

What do you mean standards dropping. Most houses up to the 1980's only had one ring circuit for the whole house and they are still operating just fine. On an average new three bed I do one RFC for kitchen, one for the rest and/or sometimes seperate bedroom radial, sometimes not, depends really what the situation is. To be honest, additional RFC's is more about having areas split onto separate RCD's to minimise disruption under single circuit fault conditions than it is a loading issue. I still like RFC's but prefer KFC's!

Reply to Kitchen on own circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net