Discuss LED lighting for Milking Parlours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

Just had an enquiry from a new customer asking me to quote to install LED lighting in some agricultural milking parlours. (I'm assuming it will likely be retrofit for whats there)
My initial thoughts (Without seeing the Job) are High Bay/Low Bay LED fittings. (Assuming high barn like vaulted ceilings - This may not be the case)
I would appreciate anyone's input on recommended method, fittings and any regulatory considerations for this type of installation in this type of environment. Also does anyone know recommended LUX levels for this type of environment.

Thanks

Well have a read of the Agi section of the BYB section 705. That will give you the guidance you need.

You really need to see the install and see what he wants and what is there now?
Are there lux levels he wants to achieve?
If they are high level now does he want to lower them for ease of changing lamps, even LED lamps finally blow?
Is there a preference for type of light ie daylight, warm white etc?
Containment what is there now? Will you need to change termination process for the new lights?

And that is just a 2 minute think

With regards to lux levels it comes down to the type of work being undertaken, i dont recall seeing a set value in the cibse guide. Ask the farmer as to the type of work carried out in there, take a measurement of the existing scheme lux values especially around the edges, see what the farmer already works under.

Then drop your luminaire into relux and show the farmer the lux levels at say 0.75m.

You need to consider IP ratings as well as IK ratings, general enviroment issues too, corrosion etc.

Cheers

I'd definitely speak to the farmer, they're very very fussy when it comes to keeping their cows happy because the slightest thing can have an effect on milk volumes. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a very definite system including lux level and colour temp that they prefer.

Reply to LED lighting for Milking Parlours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net