Discuss LED Stair lights -help with products in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

plugsandsparks

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Sparkies, I have been asked to improve lighting in a hall stairway. Its an unusual layout as there are other properties (flats) on either side of the stairs. The stairs run from the front door up to the first floor flat.
I can make some improvements to the ceiling lighting reasonably easily but the client has asked for LED tread lights. Its the ones that normally fit in the stringers on every step. there are 14 steps.

Looking on the internet tends to show quite bulky ones that need a large area behind the flush mounted LED.

Does anyone know of any good suppliers that do the very small LEDS that have an equally small profile back into the plasterboard as there are no stringers on these stairs, its plasterboard both sides (depth unknown)

Appreciate any help

thx

Just wondering, is it the freeholder asking you to do the work?
They might not be happy to be paying for extra juice, however, I shall watch this thread as have been thinking of doing it at home!!

Now these look good!!
DIY LED Steps: Motion-Sensing Staircase Illuminates Itself | Designs & Ideas on Dornob

Yep - thats the concept, but smaller and i need the design sheets to see if ther can be fitted.

Agree its (almost) a nightmare job - wont truly be able to determine likely sleep until i drill the first hole and hope i dont end up next door.
Its not a communal area, each flat is freehold and has its own front door.
dont get me wrong i did not suggest this solution, but its a lovely flat a little avant-garde and the LED lighting would not look out of place, especially a nice blue colour

There are some very thin LED plinth lights about that may be suitable, but it does depend on the lighting effect you want; are you trying to illuminate the staircase, light the treads or accent the treads.
On a quick google I found some that were 6mm deep or ones with a 10mm recess or one that fit in a 35mm back box.
The other alternative is to use flat surface mounted one, people very rarely step on the very edges of the treads and you would then only need space for a cable, and if you do not have that then you would have to go for one mounted in the risers!

Will have a look at the 6mm deep ones (if i can find them) I would say accent the treads to be fair as the ceiling lights do give some light but it looks dinjy (sp)
thx

If you are looking just to accent the treads if it is dingy then you may be able to use LED strip light as this is very thin, but you would need to choose one that looks OK as most of them are not best placed for direct observation.
The links I found for low profile plinth lights were these, i can't recommend any of them, just a google search.
Moat Farm Trading Ltd Ultra Low Profile LED
Firstlight Lighting 6078SS LED Floor Set Lights - 6078SS
LED Lights - LED Plinth Lights with Integral Driver (White) - Frank Russell
Circular LED Spotlight Kit (3 Pack) : LED Lighting : Maplin Electronics

Job done using some flush white LEDS, had to masonary drill 22mm holes to a depth of 30mm and then run each cable under the stair carpet to a common point and crimped.
Was alot easier than expected.

Reply to LED Stair lights -help with products in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock