Discuss LED Strip light minefield!! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well i'm having a slight issue with choosing the correct type of strip lighting for what i need.
I have created a bare brick wall feature in my living room either side of my fireplace. I will be running an aluminium channel with a milky diffuser on both sides of each wall to act as lighting which can be dimmed and brightened depending on the circumstance.
Please see the following image:
IMG_20190328_080026[1].jpg - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1twIZAyDJ6S_nc8pkOLByJzEBEfoDDjju

This side of the fireplace measures 2.7 metre by 1 metre and I plan to put strip led light either side of the wall to illuminate the wall from both sides using a dimmer. So i'm looking at getting around 6 metres in length for this side.

The other side of the fireplace looks like the following:
IMG_20190328_080035[1].jpg - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ner7lvrFitLEgGzKTAklEcNe8tdBiPLC

This side is slightly different in size but the same width as the other side about 1 metre.

All in all i'm looking for about 10 metres of strip light.

I have purchased aluminium profiles with a milky defuser which are 17mm deep and i'm really happy with them.

The next part are the lights and it feels like a minefield to be honest. I would like rgbw lights that will be bright enough to illuminate the back walls from either sides of the wall, a 0.5m distance each.

Which lights would be best for this type of scenario please? such as how many lumens per metre? how many watts per metre? etc

I hope that all makes sense to someone. if not let me know and i'll clear anything up

Thanks

You're right, it's a minefield.

If you're looking for asymmetrical strip lighting you'd usually specify a channel with a clip on diffuser lens that's manufactured with an optical profile to give you the angle and wall-washing effect you need. Something like these;

Your best bet is probably to head down to the largest LED lighting supplier in your area and get them to show you first hand in their showroom what's available.

there are 2 YESSS branches, both close to the Northern General Hospital.

Perhaps what you are after isn't actually available. As per telectrix I would suggest you visit the Yess or any electrical wholesaler store to see what is currently available.
You are listed as Sheffield and just found 8 in Sheffield in a very quick google search!

If you are looking for feature lighting then a 10w per metre RGBW would be more than enough. The only issue is that if you can look directly at the extrusions cover then as the 10w RGBW is 30 LEDs per metre you will see a 'spotting effect'. The other option is 20w RGBW which will be bright enough for working light aswell as being able to dim for feature lighting. This has 60 LED's per metre so you will see less 'spotting' when looked at directly. Ideally you would want to hide the extrusion so you can see the glow effect from the LEDs but not the light source. This looks really good.
You can get the LED strips made to your bespoke lengths with custom links and starter leads so it is all ready to go saving on the hassle of soldering on site (connectors dont normally fit into extrusion as they are too wide).
In terms of control, if you are looking to have all the lights controlled together then if you can wire them all back to one power supply / receiver then this is the most cost effective option. you can then use a wall switch to turn the lights on /off and use a remote to select the colours / dim etc. Or you can have a wall controller RF, (needs power to the wall controller) but can wirelessly link to the receiver (if within 20m) and an be hidden as it's RF not IR.
If you are looking for seperate control then you can use a power supply and receiver per area then use a multizone remote or wall controller which can select each area individually or together.
All settings are remembered when powered on / off

Reply to LED Strip light minefield!! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock