Discuss Liability (who takes the rap?) in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
It is quite obvious the majority of employers expect maximmum output from there employees.When it comes to Test & Inspection it is not uncommon to be asked to take shortcuts.At the end of the day its the electrician that signs the test sheet,but how often have you been told " oh ignore that" or "dont worry just put that down"But at the end of the day if someone is injured or even killed at the worst scenario "who takes the rap "when its mostly down to verbal instructions which are not recorded.I know its its easy to say well dont do what you think is right,but you can often be branded unhelpful & difficult which may take you further up the line out that door!!!!! I know we should not cow down to every whim,but in this economic climate what are the alternatives????? I would be very interested how other sparkies deal with this?This is all hypothetical of course!!!!!:rolleyes:

It is quite obvious the majority of employers expect maximmum output from there employees.When it comes to Test & Inspection it is not uncommon to be asked to take shortcuts.At the end of the day its the electrician that signs the test sheet,but how often have you been told " oh ignore that" or "dont worry just put that down"But at the end of the day if someone is injured or even killed at the worst scenario "who takes the rap "when its mostly down to verbal instructions which are not recorded.I know its its easy to say well dont do what you think is right,but you can often be branded unhelpful & difficult which may take you further up the line out that door!!!!! I know we should not cow down to every whim,but in this economic climate what are the alternatives????? I would be very interested how other sparkies deal with this?This is all hypothetical of course!!!!!:rolleyes:

If you sign the test sheets as the person who installed and tested the installation, you are the one of the persons who would take rap if anyone got hurt, so my advice is do the testing properly, any self respecting boss wont give you a rollocking if he feels youre taking too long,(YOU GOTTA COVER YOUR OWN BACKSIDE 100%)

The test is bent, always is. That's my main argument with labour luvvies new bureaucracy for 'self testing' it cannot work. All the 'government' intended to do was create jobs for their minioins.
Also create pretend jobs for their new 'skills policy'. Make it law, you pay.

Under the former law if anyone did dodgy work/dangerous work, they were still liable, nothing has changed, except the government now want a cut of added prices, they also pretend they are protecting the public, they can also encourage 'testers' the ones I know could not wire a christmas tree, yet they have the power. It is quite and utterly bent beyond reason, but hey you know this government likes rules. Make money for meaningless jobs

If you work for yourself you take the wrap.
If you are employed the buck stops at the top although you are partially responsible as you are the inspector. New laws are on the way "corporate manslaughter" although no one has been charged under this act yet.
And finally Do you have public liabillity insurance it's a must.

your name on the sheet - you are declaring on a legal document that the installation meets all of the current requirements and is safe to use

you are the competent person, so the buck stops with you. if you are not competent you should not be performing the tests or signing any certificates

and the old ones are the best: if it's not safe don't do it!

at the end of the day, wether you have liability insurance or not you can still end up in jail for negligence on your part, ande your supervisor could also be in the cell next door if that is his attitude

Reply to Liability (who takes the rap?) in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock