Discuss light fitting with choc block enclosure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
most new light fitings now seem to come with the connector block within a square enclosure or choc block. Had to fit a replacement bathroom light yesterday circular bulkhead (g9 bulb). there did not appear to be enough room for the choc block to fit. i removed the choc block and fitted wago lighting connectors which did fit in the required space between the fitting and the cieling. surely these choc block enclosures are not meant to be pushed into the ceiling void.

Last edited:
The choc block is meant to be inside the fitting, the fully sheathed cable is to enter the fitting, then the supplied heat sleeving over the individual cores to the connecting choc block.

spot on quark and usually the way i fit, but at times the choc block just wont fit into the space provided, to allow the fitting to be attached to the ceiling correctly, the choc block is just to deep finding it alot with flush ceiling mounted fittings. i wouldnt want to push a choc block into a ceiling especially with all the loft insulation, so the only way to fit is to remove the choc block and fit smaller connectors ie wago light connectors. it appears to be a design flaw on the fittings. or they just didnt consider the size of chocblock for the connectors.

not to mention where the loop in connections are meant to go, usally i use wagos in side the fitting. as the choc block provided just wont accomodate x2 1.5mm or 1mm cores they just about accept 1x 1.5mm core

The choc block should be attached to the fitting ideally, I know some aren't. I personally wouldn't have a problem with what you've done (prob better than the choc block if equal or higher rating IMHO) but it does mean you're not following the manuf instructions. The one thing that musn't be done is to modify the choc block (which I've seen done, yuk!).

- - - Updated - - -

not to mention where the loop in connections are meant to go, usally i use wagos in side the fitting. as the choc block provided just wont accomodate x2 1.5mm or 1mm cores they just about accept 1x 1.5mm core
If it's a bathroom light fitting, surely your loop in-out is at the pull switch?

Got to remember Ian these lights are not just designed for our market but for world wide consumption, where let's be kind and say that electrical standards are perhaps not as stringent as ours, so pushing a choc block back up into a ceiling ............lucky you have a choc block at all!!!!!

I had a split unit AC replaced in my place and we are talking 24,000 BTU so quite meaty, the sparks proceeded to connect it up by use of a "married" joint and tape, and I think it was plumbing self almaging tap at that ...............walk away saying I know nothing

yes it was a b&q special made in china but not cheap in price, design was awful 3 x fixing screws passing thru wear wiring is located heavy and i mean heavy screw shade. My main concern was the proximity of the wiring to the g9 bulb, and just how tight the space for the wiring was. i presume the 1mm/2mm of steel plate between the g9 bulb and the location of the wiring above will dissipate most of the heat. i agree that the wago lighting connectors provide a better connection and are rated at 20a i think. To be honhest in this situation no other choice.

as for maunfacturers instructions if there wrong or not possible to follow surely using your common sense and knowledge would account for this. especially if the product cannot be instaled as per instruction due to design flaws.

The choc block should be attached to the fitting ideally, I know some aren't. I personally wouldn't have a problem with what you've done (prob better than the choc block if equal or higher rating IMHO) but it does mean you're not following the manuf instructions. The one thing that musn't be done is to modify the choc block (which I've seen done, yuk!).

- - - Updated - - -

If it's a bathroom light fitting, surely your loop in-out is at the pull switch?

no loop in here i was speaking more generally, choc block just useless in these situations. personally prefer they leave the connections/connectors to the competent person. rather than providing a unfit for purpose connector and problems re MI .

do you think the g9 bulb will create any problems for the wiring above even though there is the 2mm plate of the fitting between. i know they get hot as i have one in my desk lamp but this is a 230mm diameter fitting. grr hate bad design

it appears to be a design flaw on the fittings.

Are you suggesting that lighting designers, who sit in plush offices at big computer screens and have never put up a light fitting in their lives, could produce something with a design flaw? That these creative, artistic geniuses who don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other end of a hammer could make such an elementary mistake as to produce something that is next to impossible to install correctly? Shame on you, sir!!

PJ

With those tiny little 4mm screws to attach the fitting to the ceiling bracket.
You know, those little screws with no lead-in to make it easier for a chap up a ladder.

i know the ones they usally fall into a rug never to be seen again, and no im sure those so called lighting designers take full account of how its going to be installed in fact just as much time as to how ptretty it must look nah

in a 230mm diameter ceiling fitting does anyone think a g9 bulb will create enough heat to possibly damage the wiring enclosed above im pretty sure it wont as no heat sheathing was provided for the light fitting wiring just wondered.

Reply to light fitting with choc block enclosure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock