Discuss Light switch in toilet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been asked for a light switch to go in a small room with a toilet and no basin, there is a door but you have to go through the bathroom to get there, hence no basin.
I’ve said I don’t think this is best and am trying to find other solutions but I’m not sure it’s actually against any regs. There is two entrances to this bathroom so that is why they want the switch in the toilet.

Anyone else had this layout and what was there solution.

Thanks

Check building regs… I don’t know if you can have a toilet without a basin now??
Germs being spread on door handles come to mind.

My second house in Carnoustie, built in 70’s had originally a bathroom with basin at the top of the stairs, and separate toilet without basin.
We just thought it was a big bathroom, but it had been a previous owner in the past took the dividing wall down.
We found the second door while decorating the landing. They had just boarded over it.

If it's outside of zone, stick a switch wherever it makes the most practical sense, simples. Alternatively, if that's going to be a ballache for wiring then maybe consider a PIR on a ceiling somewhere.

Ok I’ll go with it maybe I was over thinking it. Never come across it before.

Sure the building inspector will be fine with there been no basin as there is then two as you walk out and left.

Thanks

there is 2 entrances to the bathroom and both bath and toilet have 2 sets of lights plus 2 more for the bedroom so it would be 6 gang 2 way at either entrance which the customer doesn’t want. It would be a bit much I think.

Switch for each set of lights, is what it is..

My brother built a house like this, where his two daughters bedrooms lead into a shared bathroom, nearly certain he had two way switching between rooms and mirror light which was with a sensor.

Either way youl think of something...knock down partition make 1 room 5 switches then

+1 for PIR.
Not sure I'd want to be using a light switch in a room with toilet and no sink, nor a pullcord, nor a quientic switch. Yuk🤮
I’d go for a pir but there not keen and want a fan and also want a light in there that won’t trigger the fan at night.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to Light switch in toilet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net