Discuss lighting chain testing in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Preacher man

i was watching the electrical engineers testing some mains light chains they bought from Argos [ fairy lights in bamboo shoots - ornamental thing it was].

They were hi pot testing, they were arguing over the test voltage. Ian said 500 vac and john said no its 3570 vac. They were arguing about class 1 or class 2

I am only a junior in the team so i could not offer a response. who is correct.

So that i can join in the discussion and get my feet under the table [ i start college soon].

What is hi pot testing
what is flash testing
these items are 240vac mains - what class are they
what should the test voltage be and trip current [ i seen this on the clare tester]

Hiya preacher man, I can answer 3 of your questions

"What is hi pot testing" I think you mean Pat testing ? portable appliance testing , Testing carried out as a routine to determine whether the equipment is in satisfactory condition.( if not I dunno wat pot testing is)

"what is flash testing"
Flash testing is something used in Pat testing, basically to see what the strength of the Flex(cable is) When manufactoring new products the cable NEED to be flashed tested for its suitablibilty and strength. But what manufacters do is create a cable which will be able to withstand a flash test, as its flash tested it will degrade the cable, so another flash test would damage it completely. They dont use flash testing as much or try and avoid it.

"Ian said 500 vac and john said no its 3570 vac." 500V ac, 500 Volts Alternating current, Uk use A.C, Places like america use D.C

I think this is right, Please Pat tester if you are there please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards Luke

The guys were talking about Hi Potential testing and is different to PAT testing. HI POT testing is an online QC check usually carried out in a safe testing area. Thats all i know..........anyone else got any comments.

Reply to lighting chain testing in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock