Discuss Lighting for jewellery repair shop in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sam400

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I ve got a job changing out some old 6ft fluorescent fittings in a workshop where they repair jewellery (very fine work), I am going to be replacing them with non-corrosive LED battens. My first instinct was to fit some 5000k coloured fittings but some people find it a bit 'headachey' would i be better with 4000ks?

would be interested to hear peoples opinions.

TIA

Sam

what's the ceiling? is it grid and tile?

you can get the 600 x 600 LED panels ( that fit into grid) with surface patresses. done some 8 years ago for an estate agent where they all using computer stations. each panel was 34watts, 15 panels in 3 rows, spaced approx 4 ft apart. 6000K and they all happy.no suicides as yet.

Lighting it this kind of situation can be quire tricky.

Firstly, what ever they put up with from their old lights they're not going to from their new ones.

High light levels will lead to strong shadows if the direction and coverage of the lighting is not considered.

More, lower power, fittings well located will give a better result than a couple of high powered lights in the middle of a room.

Have you measured their current LUX* levels and discussed if this is adequate with the customer?

What height are the ceilings?

*I have an app on my phone that gives a good enough idea.

Thanks for your replies.

The workshop is high ceiling-ed so fittings are suspended on jack chain directly over the work benches.
The set up works well but for the knackered fluorescent's, so I am just down to swap the fittings out for new.

Half the tubes are out so its pretty dim in there, its going to be night and day different.

I am just worried about the 4000k vs 5000k more than anything, If it was my workshop I would fit daylight but i feel like cool white is the safer option?

I'd be tempted to get one of each and let then try them for a few days. A jewellery workshop is going to be the sort of environment where you want things to be just right I'd have thought.

Plus it makes you look good giving them the choice.

General lighting can be 4000k if they like it . Work place lighting is critical and should a trial and error using one piece before spending lots and people dont like the spectrum . I for one HATE 4000k plus . Might as well be under a sun bed. Also will affect the pieces they use as they wont be able to see the true colours of the pieces .

General lighting can be 4000k if they like it . Work place lighting is critical and should a trial and error using one piece before spending lots and people dont like the spectrum . I for one HATE 4000k plus . Might as well be under a sun bed. Also will affect the pieces they use as they wont be able to see the true colours of the pieces .

Indeed. Maybe consider daylight lamps for the task lighting.

youse can only see true colours under daylight lighting. 6000K.

If the staff have task lights on their work benches, I would be looking to match any new lighting with the colour temp of those (or have them buy new task lights to match the overheads if they decide on a different colour temp for those). Mixing colour temperatures will have a more negative effect on the perception of colour than absolute colour temperature.

If good representation of colour is important, I'd be tempted to look at high CRI lighting, although this may be more important (and may already be present) in the task lighting. Typical LED lights have a CRI of around 80 which gives everything a slightly insipid look. A CRI of 90 or higher and you're getting a more balanced spectrum of light. However, cost goes up and light output goes down...

Hi guys,

I ve got a job changing out some old 6ft fluorescent fittings in a workshop where they repair jewellery (very fine work), I am going to be replacing them with non-corrosive LED battens. My first instinct was to fit some 5000k coloured fittings but some people find it a bit 'headachey' would i be better with 4000ks?

would be interested to hear peoples opinions.

TIA

Sam
4000K is more confortable for eyes especially fine and long time work

Reply to Lighting for jewellery repair shop in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net