Discuss lights in bathroom in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

Hi, i have an old pendant style light in the bathroom which i want to replace with one that fits the current regs. Bought a light fitting - problem is that it is flush fitting so there is no room for the ceiling rose of the present light. I can fairly easily put it (the rose) in the loft above but is it legal to use the ceiling rose in the loft just screwed to a joist or do i have to use a proper junction box?
Another question (just hypothetical this time) if there was no earth in the lighting cable would it be possible/legal to run an earth as a single to another earth, say on the ring main or would you just have to stick to all plastic fittings that require no earth? Cheers.

Hi Pushrod

Depending on the exact fitting you have you can put your connections above ceiling space but must be accessible. The way we had to do this in the past was to fit a single cavity box into the ceiling space where the connections would come into the fitting, These connections would be tucked inside the cavity box then the flat light fitting would be covering this. Then just feed your switch live into the fitting and sleeve it up with heat shrink tubing.

Hi Pushrod

Depending on the exact fitting you have you can put your connections above ceiling space but must be accessible. The way we had to do this in the past was to fit a single cavity box into the ceiling space where the connections would come into the fitting, These connections would be tucked inside the cavity box then the flat light fitting would be covering this. Then just feed your switch live into the fitting and sleeve it up with heat shrink tubing.

Hi magic-sid, when you say "accessible" does that mean accessible from the bathroom (hidden by the light fitting) or accessible from the loft (which is easily accessible has it has a loft ladder and is not floored in that area) or doesn't it matter? And what do you mean by a cavity box:eek:
I am very much a beginner and am currently doing my C&G 2330 and just trying to do as many small projects in the house to build up my experience. Thanks.

There may be an easier way 2 fit your light, but without seeing it its hard to say, most fittings you can get your connections in no problem, some 2D fittings have limited space, and this is how i have got by it in the past.

By cavo box i mean dry lining box, as pictured sorry. for confusion

You can get to this connection by simply removing your light fitting.

Attachments

• lights in bathroom p1989335_l - EletriciansForums.net
    p1989335_l.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 12
Good idea putting the dry linning box in the celling, never thought about that.

But what if the base of the new light fitting is smaller (usually round aswell) then wont you see the box? also what about the nogging thats there or the joist, then the dry linning box would be set to one side ans be seen??

if theres been limited space in the light fitting i either put all the cables on connectors, plenty of tape round and push up into the celling. sometimes even put them in a choc box. so they are accessible when the light fittting is taken down

Hi, i have an old pendant style light in the bathroom which i want to replace with one that fits the current regs. Bought a light fitting - problem is that it is flush fitting so there is no room for the ceiling rose of the present light. I can fairly easily put it (the rose) in the loft above but is it legal to use the ceiling rose in the loft just screwed to a joist or do i have to use a proper junction box?
Another question (just hypothetical this time) if there was no earth in the lighting cable would it be possible/legal to run an earth as a single to another earth, say on the ring main or would you just have to stick to all plastic fittings that require no earth? Cheers.

Pushrod do you have a picture of this light fitting? There really should be a recess inside the fitting for you wiring connections and the ceiling rose is not needed?

I have a flush light fitting in my bathroom, something simliar to this (obviously IP rated etc) and therefore no ceiling rose is required.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Warren

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to lights in bathroom in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock