Discuss Live incomer is earth cable wrapped in brown tape? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I guess a proper discussion with client is due. Of note, the reason why I didn’t look as thoroughly as I should have first time is that there was full electrical NICEIC branded installation certificate posted up next to board downstairs . Will need to check when that was signed off and if they were actually on NICEIC register at time of signing

I could be wrong as i haven't got the regs to hand but i believe in 17th you could oversleeve green and yellow cpc of flex only as long as it was done at both ends but, that the rule changed in the 18th. I'm open to corection as I'm going by memory.

Imo G/Y should not be used as anything else other than Earth / Cpc

G/y is the Univeral colour in the Uk for Earth and should remain as such

I

My point was; is a cable consisting of green/yellow insulation completely wrapped in brown tape throughout its length, a green/yellow cable or a brown one?
How about if it's in brown sleeving throughout its length?
Or a cable with most of the insulation thickness one colour covered with a skin of another colour, e.g. a 2-core mains flex with two blue cores one of which has a brown skin?

My point was; is a cable consisting of green/yellow insulation completely wrapped in brown tape throughout its length, a green/yellow cable or a brown one?
I would say g/y because the wrap could be removed intentionally or unintentionally.

How about if it's in brown sleeving throughout its length?
I would say g/y because the sleeve could be removed

Or a cable with most of the insulation thickness one colour covered with a skin of another colour, e.g. a 2-core mains flex with two blue cores one of which has a brown skin?
I would say brown because the skin cannot be removed whilst leaving the underlying insulation (unless one went to ridiculous effort)

In my opinion if the insulation is g/y by manufacture then it should never be over sleeved - it should only ever be used for earthing/cpc.

I realise that the regs do permit the g/y in flex to be over sleeved - personally I think this should not be permitted - bring back regulation B57 of the 14th edition I say!

I would advise caution
The client is telling you what the job scope is- it is your job to let them know what needs to be done to make things safe and then they can decide what to do

When you go back take pictures and notes and then let them know you will send an estimate later on

You should send them something in writing if you have concens then if the house burns down you have covered your a$$.
Sometimes it is better to walk away from a client who will not take your advice and leave the problem install to someone else

Reply to Live incomer is earth cable wrapped in brown tape? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock