Discuss Low Ze, high(ish) R1+R2, Got a plan but just had an idea in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mattja

-
Reaction score
So Ze=0.02 and R1+R2 = 0.73 on a first floor ring main.

Nearest submain is about 35m away, so that Ze's plausible, and even a slightly indirect route makes Ze=0.03 realistic. So MCBs are going to need changing to Type Cs.

Unfortunately for that first floor ring R1+R2 of 0.73 is too high for a 32A Type C. Yes I've got behind every point on the circuit, empty house so nothing hidden, no poor connections there, perhaps a JB hidden away under the floor somewhere but I'm not about to tear apart a (very nicely done up) house on a maybe when there's simpler things to do.

My first thought is "aha, but it is low enough for a 20A Type C!" which is how I intend to go about it right now, should still be enough power I think.

The idea I've just had though, and forgive me if this is dumb, it's late alright? is to split the circuit into two radials, so that one side goes to the large room at the front and the other goes to the two bedrooms, and put them on 16A breakers, allowing for more current overall if slightly less max load in each area.

TLDR: Low Ze, needs changing from Type B to Type C breakers. Either cut 32A ring with R1+R2=0.73 down to 20A or make into two 16A radials?

Thoughts?

End to end L=0.91 , N=0.90 , CPC=1.94

Yes the CPC seems a bit high, hence my suspicion that there's a JB somewhere under the floor since I've been round all the visible points.

However I've also just figured out that I can't split the circuit!

At the middle point of the circuit, resistance-wise, if I split it there it's effectively halving the CSA of the wire, and hence doubling the resistance. So then I would need to bring it down to two 10A breakers!

Like I said, it's late, tired Matt is dumbass Matt! Keeping the ring and making it a 20A Type C... *facepalms*

On the other hand, the other circuits all look like typical 2.5 1.5... got 0.89/0.90/1.42, a 0.36/0.38/0.64, and a 0.62/0.61/1.01.

At a glance the cables all look the same so I would've thought they were put in at the same time, will have another look but still betting on a long-lost JB is lurking under a floor somewhere.

Oh sorry must've mis-typed westward.

Low Ze so changing to type C.
Zs too high on one circuit to keep it on a 32A.
Was toying with the idea of splitting the circuit into 2 16A radials.
Realised that splitting the circuit would increase the resistance so couldn't use 16A Type C radials.
Back to original idea of making it a 20A Type C ring.
Much wittering to ensue.

The cpc reading is high assuming the cpcs are 1.5 as you should probably expect 1.50. But even with that the Zs is likely to be too high for a Type C 32A. Further investigation and fit a Type B 32A but as Doc says you could have 1.0 cpcs in circuit.

Changing from a B to C type MCB is a a non-starter on general use socket outlets in my opinion. You are at least doubling the minimum trip current.

Is the circuit on an RCBO? As such I would
probably leave it as is and note on the cert that due to exising high earth loop impedance measurments the RCBO is being used as fault protection and the Max permitted Zs is then 1667.

Is the circuit on an RCBO? As such I would
probably leave it as is and note on the cert that due to exising high earth loop impedance measurments the RCBO is being used as fault protection and the Max permitted Zs is then 1667.

Isn't that just for a TT arrangement?

Isn't that just for a TT arrangement?
Generally yes whereby a protective device alone does not provide fault protection. Using one for fault protection on a TN system is considered bad practice as you are essentially compensating poor circuit design with an rcd, on a TN system a 30ma rcd is for additional and not fault protection.
This thread however is somewhat bizarre.

Generally yes whereby a protective device alone does not provide fault protection. Using one for fault protection on a TN system is considered bad practice as you are essentially compensating poor circuit design with an rcd, on a TN system a 30ma rcd is for additional and not fault protection.
This thread however is somewhat bizarre.

Completly standard design when high loop impedances are an issue on a TN system.

I agree if designed to be used as fault protection on a decent enough Ze then that is poor design however this is an existing installation and the exisiting poor design is no fault of the op so a bit of common sense needs to prevail.

Reply to Low Ze, high(ish) R1+R2, Got a plan but just had an idea in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net