Discuss Made a big mistake on a job need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We all make the occasional mistake. The art is to get it all fixed before anyone notices.
Cut right through a lead gas pipe once - in a building that didn't have gas! Was back in the days when British Gas had shops on the high street, so crimped over the end that was hissing at me, and walked up the street to the shop to report it. I heard later that the occupant of a flat a couple of doors up from where I was had also called into the shop later, complaining of a lack of gas supply.

A very experienced improver that i know brought down an entire airport by taking a grinder through the main comms cable into the building because he'd been told to 'rip everything out'.

Today my very experienced boss drilled through a main incomer by accident. Client plus two neighbours without power for 6 hours, potential 4-figure DNO bill incoming for the company.

I've been a builder for 19 years and about 3 months ago i was drilling into what i assumed was a double skinned brick wall, and when i went for a p!ss next door noticed it looked like Jesse James had had a shoot out in there with all the bulletholes in the wall.

My old man on his first day at a new construction company put a nail right through a main water pipe.

I fitted a dishwasher front for someone in a very expensive private newbuild estate. All the whitegood fronts i had ever used were blank on both sides and this had a template with holes so i assumed it was also blank both sides. Turns out the flip side of the front had all the holes already pre-drilled (so not sure what the point of the template was) and when i hung the door on the dishwasher all the pilot holes were on display. 50% chance of getting the right side and still got it wrong. As my dad would say, i could fall in a barrel of t*ts and still come out sucking my thumb.

Don't worry about the mistakes. You obviously care about it which means you'll learn from it.

A test engineer that I know once blacked out half of Southampton. A work mate of mine took a powerstation offline. I once caused a full fire muster at another power station. Yup, we all make mistakes 😇

I’ve managed something spectacularly stupid right in front of a customer.
In brief I managed to push two test probes hard onto an incomer ready for a Zs test completely forgetting there was also a lead connected directly between them 😂🤣
(I’d been IR testing L+N to E previously, then two phone calls and a cuppa and I didn’t remember how the test leads were setup)
Fortunately it was a sub main.
The worst bit was the customer was just saying how amazing it was we know what all the wires do…..as I caused a massive spark and loud click and I couldn’t help swearing and taking a jump backwards….!
yeah - we all make mistakes!

Reply to Made a big mistake on a job need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net