Currently reading:
Made a big mistake on a job need advice

Discuss Made a big mistake on a job need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I think i was rushing to fit a new light fitting. And got some cables trapped . Long story short light fitting smoked and went black. Have replaced fitting but really knocked my confidence is this just part of the job.feeling like a damn cowboy

And you wear women's clothing 🤣
And hang around in bars….

He’s a lumberjack and he’s ok…..

Was it on this forum that had a photo of what happened when someone drilled in from outside…. Through the wall, through the back of a wardrobe…. Through a guitar case…. And finally into the guitar itself.

Not quite burnt one down, but as a child did fair amount of damage to one on my dads farm when playing with some matches on the hay bails.

Been there, done that and by some fluke my father happened to be looking out the right window as I sprinted toward the hose. My mother maintains he never moved so fast before or after that day and he managed to stamp the fire out before it really took hold.

I am sure that nearly all long time served electricians have seen a couple of Bangs, Flashes and burnt things that they have caused themselves (myself included).

Having a bit of a mistake that writes off a light fitting is not "A BIG MISTAKE on a job"

If I were to total up the costs all of my furk ups from an apprentice to now it would probably buy me a new small car for the wife.

It sounds like the guys at work just laughed it off as a rookie mistake, partly to save your dignity a little and partly because they have all done almost the exact same thing at some point in the past.

Expect going forward the odd dig like, oh don't let him put the covers on that row of lights, remember the Sheffield job? we don't want them all going up in flames!!!

Learn from your mistake, don't worry about it, bet you wont make the same mistake again!

Quick straw poll,
any electrician who has worked for 2 years or more,
ever made a mistake on a job that wrote off a fitting, caused a big bang or burnt a cable etc.

thumbs up for yes I have,
Thumbs Down for No, I have been perfect and never foooked up.

p.s. I am not worried about my rating, if i get 40 thumbs down it will be enlightening but wont offend me.

All I can say is…..come back when you’ve made a “MISTAKE”…..ha ha ha you’ll know when you have cos it’ll cost YOU some money 😂…..till then don’t sweat it ya employer certainly ain’t so take that as a positive man 👍🏻

Ps, I still believe @Spoon eats cheese cake in womens clothes on Saturdays…..just for the record you understand 👍🏻

thumbs up for yes I have,
Thumbs Down for No, I have been perfect and never foooked up.
You’re just wanting a lot of “likes” for your posts….

I think there was another thread in The Arms where we could confess our sins without the general public finding out we are fallible.

You’re just wanting a lot of “likes” for your posts….

I think there was another thread in The Arms where we could confess our sins without the general public finding out we are fallible.
you could be the first to give me a thumbs down and show how perfect you are to everyone here!!!

I am flawed, but I am sure there are other people out there who classify themselves as unflawed (professionally) and I am fully ready for all of them to dislike my post.

Reply to Made a big mistake on a job need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back