Discuss Made in America- Serves me right? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I brought this back to UK from USA : View: https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Auto-iQ-Frother-Baskets-CP301/dp/B07FDFP6MY

I plugged it into this converter: View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000L99ZJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As it powers up the element it sounded as thought the converter popped - serves me right for cutting corners on a full size converter. Swapping the fuse out on the converter didn't rescue it (tried it on a US phone charger).

I plug the coffee machine into a UK to US adapter just to check that it wasn't the coffee machine that broke and about 2seconds after powering on, the coffee machine then TOO made a popping sound and died. I didn't even switch the element on that time. :(

So my questions:?‍♂️
If I could get the coffee machine open (which I can't for some reason as it's stuck) would I see and be able to replace a fuse or whatever popped?
What converter should I get to run this 1500W coffee machine?
Does anyone want a dead converter that cost me 15£?

The converter power supply you bought is rated at 100watt.
The machine is rated at 1550 watt.
That makes the converter over 15 times TOO SMALL.

If you then plugged the machine in without the 240v to 120v converter "and it made a popping sound" then you've fried it.

Throw it all in the dustbin and start again.

The converter power supply you bought is rated at 100watt.
The machine is rated at 1550 watt.
That makes the converter over 15 times TOO SMALL.

If you then plugged the machine in without the 240v to 120v converter "and it made a popping sound" then you've fried it.

Throw it all in the dustbin and start again.

It is an ex- coffee maker.
It has ceased to be.
It is pushing up the coffee beans
It has shuffled off this mortal coil.

My machine is a has bean ...been? It's given up the roast...ghost? Gone to the great kitchen in the sky?

Does anyone want a broken machine for 50GBP? I'm in canada water.
Otherwise anyone want to try a last ditch attempt to fix it? Will pay 100GBP if they manage it.

My machine is a has bean ...been? It's given up the roast...ghost? Gone to the great kitchen in the sky?

Does anyone want a broken machine for 50GBP? I'm in canada water.
Otherwise anyone want to try a last ditch attempt to fix it? Will pay 100GBP if they manage it.

It depends, it is probably goosed, but it may just be a fuse or something.

But even if you get it fixed, what are you going to do with it?

You will need a transformer 1.5kW continues (~3kVA intermittent) and adaptor leads to use it on 230v supply in the UK, something like this:

https://www.screwflix..com/p/carroll-meynell-3000va-step-down-isolation-transformer/84144

Hey that goes with the Slippery Surface cone I have in my kitchen!

TBH I didn't bring the coffee machine over from US. My silly american girl got me it as a gift. Much like most americans she's not very world-aware and in combination with being female, national grid voltages in different countries ranks about joint bottom in her knowledge base along with how crockery and cutlery doesn't have to be disposable.

TBH I didn't bring the coffee machine over from US. My silly american girl got me it as a gift. Much like most americans she's not very world-aware and in combination with being female, national grid voltages in different countries ranks about joint bottom in her knowledge base along with how crockery and cutlery doesn't have to be disposable.

Says the one who plugged it in and blew it up.
????

I am not sure what you expected to happen when connecting the machine to 230V. What is likely to have happened is that the power supply for the control electronics failed. the rest of the machine is likely to be unharmed, since the dead electronics would have prevented it being energised.

The extent of damage might be anything from a blown fuse to part of the circuit board scorched and unrecognisable. You might be able to source a replacement board / module which might or might not be cost effective to replace, however as mentioned above you will still need to splash out on a transformer large enough to power it.

do americans believe in fuses?
Yes, but the function of a fuse is to prevent wiring burnout in the event of a short-circuit, not to prevent PSU failure in the event of numptiness.

Tough choice between girlfriend and manufacturer when seeking to apportion blame.

Definitely best to forget about the underspecified transformer and plugging machine into incorrect supply.

That's not the most sensible reply when a member who has vast technical knowledge, and also happens to be female, has posted replies to your question.

Gender has nothing to do with technical knowledge and your sexist comments are rude and unnecessary.

Reply to Made in America- Serves me right? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock