Discuss Main cutout fuse upgrade advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MrMarkyr

DIY
Reaction score
I'm having an extension built and the builder leading the project has said that the electrician will be over in about 4-6 weeks to start his works (wiring for a kitchen dining space, movie room, utility, wc and hallway).

I'm trying to plan ahead and have just finished researching EV charging points as we want to future proof. Most things I've seen have suggested that an upgrade to the main fuse in the cutout housing should be considered.

I've looked under the stairs and we have 2 consumer units, each with 100 amp DP main switches and 63 amp RCDs.

This connects into a reasonably modern looking 100 amp main switch, which then runs into an older looking main switch noting a 63 amp RCB, which then runs into a 100 amp meter, finally into the grey plastic cutout holder with a 60 amp fuse.

Q1 - we have a 4 bed house, both work from home regularly, will soon have a kitchen with 3 ovens and large electric hob, 3 rooms with reasonable audio visual, and quite a few smart home units (cameras, alexas, alarm, mesh internet etc), 2 air conditioner units and are adding an EV charger. Should we be looking at UK Power Network upgrading our 60 amp main fuse?

Q2 - Should I ask if the electrician can visit to advise before his works start, or am I OK waiting the 4-6 weeks until he starts his work? I'm thinking I could potentially get the main fuse upgrade started (and ideally smart meter from Octopus) before he starts or at least whilst he is doing his work - in my head this makes sense and would be the right order to do things (doesn't mean I'm right though).

Q3 - How can I tell what the cutout holder can be upgraded to - it says Series 7 on it, but nothing else - so I don't know if it can only take 60, 80 or 100 amps? I've seen plenty of posts noting that some cutouts can be upgraded from 60 to 80 amp, whilst others can be upgraded to 100 amps, essentially by just replacing the main fuse.

Is there anything else I'm missing when considering these things?

Thanks in advance - and importantly this is not a DIY thing, all electrical work will be completed by either the electrician from the builder, Octopus or UK Power Network.

Speak to your electrician as soon as, and highlight that you may only have a 60A fuse.

The cutout/fuse holder itself will be suitable for fuses up to 100A, however it doesn't mean the supply cable is, however even if its not, modern EVCPs can manage the charging capacity to limit the load from the supply.

The electrician can assess your loads and determine if an upgrade is required

Speak to your electrician as soon as, and highlight that you may only have a 60A fuse.

The cutout/fuse holder itself will be suitable for fuses up to 100A, however it doesn't mean the supply cable is, however even if its not, modern EVCPs can manage the charging capacity to limit the load from the supply.

The electrician can assess your loads and determine if an upgrade is required
Thanks for such a quick reply.

I'll tell the builder that I'd like to speak to the electrician as soon as is convenient for them as I'm conscious about the above.

My wife wants me to stop hassling the builder and planning ahead, but I'm conscious that if we don't plan ahead then we will hit problems that could have been forseen. Hence hassling everyone here instead of my builder 😅

If you upgrade to 100A then you may need the tails upgraded to 25mm if yours aren’t already.

EV charge points generally have automatic load management via a CT clamp. I’ve not installed one without it. This can be set so even if you have only got a 60a fuse the charge point will limit it’s draw, even to the point of stopping, if the load on the house is too high.

You‘re right to plan ahead. It can save hassle and more importantly money in the long run. 😉

Reply to Main cutout fuse upgrade advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock