Discuss Main Incomer and Meter Mounting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've purchased a property recently and I've managed to have look at the main incomer today.

The main incomer and meter are mounted on slatted wood (looks like floorboard?). Am I right in thinking these should be fixed onto a flame retardant / non-combustible board?

I was going to request an installation of a DP isolator from the supplier, would this be worth mentioning too?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4725.jpg

Your best bet would be to get in a professional electrician in to look at it. The wooden back is not really the thing that sticks out for me, it is:
  • The apparent significant age of the red/black meter tails
  • The earth wire is black (regulations should have it as green if pre 1977, or green/yellow now, or at least sleeved with that colour)
  • The slight possibility that the cut-out is one of the types that are replaced now if they have problems.
Can you post a photo of your CU (consumer unit = fuse box) to see more of the set up?

Note any personal identifying information like sticky lables should be obscured.
[automerge]1591651377[/automerge]
My apologies, just seen you are qualified!

Certainly getting an isolator fitted would be good, and tidying up the meter connections at the same time. The DNO folk should also review the cut-out type, etc, when doing the isolator.

Meters are normally mounted onto chipboard these days, not non-combustible or flame-retardent boards.

That's an unusual clamp on the incoming cables, can you post a closer photo of them?

Thanks for your quick replies.

Apologies, I should have explained the situation a bit more. My background / experience is in commercial and industrial maintenance.

I will upload a closer image of the earth clamp tomorrow.

I like how the incoming supply to the meter coround the outgoing.
Does that cut down on eddy currants or something? ;)

card of fuse wire on the 70’s linoleum.... I’m guessing the consumer unit is just as old

I think someone just chiselled it to hold the lug prior to soldering. I doubt we will be discussing todays methods on a forum in 60 years time.

Reply to Main Incomer and Meter Mounting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net