Discuss Major domestic electrical problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi - looking for some expert help please. I recently had the following problem. Water heater digital timer burnt out, fridge/freezer, extractor fan and cooker hood all blown and will not restart (fuses all checked). It's the second time the water timer has burnt out in a matter of weeks - and suspect this caused the other appliance problems. I have had 2 electricians in to test and advise - neither could find any problem with the circuits and had no idea what caused the appliances problem. 3rd digital timer now installed. Clearly I need to get to bottom of this as I can't afford it to happen again. (I'm not an electrician BTW). Any help / advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Hi - looking for some expert help please. I recently had the following problem. Water heater digital timer burnt out, fridge/freezer, extractor fan and cooker hood all blown and will not restart (fuses all checked). It's the second time the water timer has burnt out in a matter of weeks - and suspect this caused the other appliance problems. I have had 2 electricians in to test and advise - neither could find any problem with the circuits and had no idea what caused the appliances problem. 3rd digital timer now installed. Clearly I need to get to bottom of this as I can't afford it to happen again. (I'm not an electrician BTW). Any help / advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
Do you have RCD protection on your CU (Fuse board)

surge protection???

Strongly suspect broken neutral. Did you see lamps dimming etc prior to this? House built in1970s?

If the appliances are blowing due to too high a voltage (and this isn't the only thing that could cause it, but I'd say it's the most likely), this is probably one of three causes:

(1) Transient overvoltages of atmospheric origin transmitted by the supply distribution system, and switching overvoltages

(2) Incorrect supply voltage

(3) High resistance neutral joint between the star point of three phases (say, 3 adjoining houses, each on a different phase) and the incoming supply neutral.

It's difficult to determine if (1) is the cause, without access to some pretty nifty monitoring equipment. To fix (1) you need a surge protective device (SPD) fitting at the origin of the installation.

Determining if (2) or (3) is the cause, you need some way to measure the voltage. Electricians have plug-in testers (multi-function testers) that will do this, but they can only measure the voltage there and then, and they won't pick up spikes/surges as in (1). You could measure the voltage safely yourself with something like a plug-in power/energy monitor, like this: NASHONE UK Plug Power Meter KWh Watt Energy Monitor with LCD Backlight Display. Electricity Meter to Measure Power Consumption and Reduce Energy Costs. 3680W: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/NASHONE-Backlight-Display-Electricity-Consumption/dp/B07F9JJFR2/ref=pd_sim_107_1/257-5885365-2640615

If (2) or (3) is the cause, then your DNO (distribution network operator) needs to investigate.

I have suffered personally from (3). A few years ago I lived in a house with mural wiring: the three phases and neutral, supplied by an underground cable, were split between 3 houses using a joint on the rear wall of one of the houses, then distributed as single phase supplies to each house - known as mural wiring. The neutral joint started to fail, such that the neutral to all 3 houses was firmly jointed (very low resistance) to each other, but, with an intermittently high resistance to the incoming supply neutral.

The end effect was effectively a 3 phase star configuration, with a (partially) floating neutral, where each phase was in a different house.

This meant that if you put more load on in one house, the voltage on that phase (in that house) would go down, but the voltages in other houses would go up - often to higher than the permitted range. Hence the broken appliances (which Western Power payed to be replaced).

Fortunately, no fires or injuries.

A lot of houses built in the 1970s are suffering broken neutrals on the tee joints under the pavements.

Hi - as there’s a good chance it’s a supply problem, maybe call your network operator (DNO) and ask for a safety check. Pop your postcode into this and it will give you a number to call.

If the appliances are blowing due to too high a voltage (and this isn't the only thing that could cause it, but I'd say it's the most likely), this is probably one of three causes:

(1) Transient overvoltages of atmospheric origin transmitted by the supply distribution system, and switching overvoltages

(2) Incorrect supply voltage

(3) High resistance neutral joint between the star point of three phases (say, 3 adjoining houses, each on a different phase) and the incoming supply neutral.

Many thanks for detailed reply. Where would I plug in a monitor? Would it keep a history of any surges or other problems? How would I get an SPD fitted? Thanks again.

Many thanks for detailed reply. Where would I plug in a monitor? Would it keep a history of any surges or other problems? How would I get an SPD fitted? Thanks again.
Depends on the type of monitor, if the problem is giving you that much grief, I would ask your DNO to fit some monitoring equipment in your house, maybe they could fit it in the feeder pillar, or the sub station, having little or no experience of this type of thing, I can't be sure how they would do it.
The DNO will have access to this equipment, buying or hiring something that is unsuitable is a false economy. As for the SPD an Electrician will advise.

Reply to Major domestic electrical problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock