Discuss Makita 18v brushless SDS drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I started off my makita li-ion kit about 4 years ago with an sds drill, combi drill, torch and 2 batteries. Both genuine batteries (3.0Ah) went faulty within a year. They just stopped charging, every time i put them in the charger they would flash green to red indicating a faulty battery. Since then i bought 2 replica 4.5Ah batteries off ebay for around £35 each. I've had mine for 3 years now with no problems, other than i dropped one 4 meters from a ladder and cracked the casing but nothing some black insulating tape didn't fix. No problems recommending replicas

I've used the brushless makita SDS for around 2 years now Lee. I have to admit when I first used it I didn't like it as I didn't feel it had as much initial control as my previous one (Hitachi). However, that was just me getting used to it and I like it now, it seems more powerful than the Hitachi.

I can't help you with the replica batteries though. I feel if I am going to spend the money on such a good quality drill then I may as well put the right batteries in it! :smile5:

Last edited:
I've used the brushless makita SDS for around 2 years now Lee. I have to admit when I first used it I didn't like it as I didn't feel it had as much initial control as my previous one (Hitachi). However, that was just me getting used to it and I like it now, it seems more powerful than the Hitachi.

I can't help you with the replica batteries though. I feel if I am going to spend the money on such a good quality drill then I may as well put the right batteries in it! :smile5:
i was the same, when chiselling etc you need to put a lot of pressure on before it starts to vibrate.

and to the guys that had the genuine batteries die within a year, the first gen makita batteries had a design floor and this was fixed years ago.

only the old non start bl1830 will be affected. the 4/5ah batteries are all not affected at all.

I think you'll get some people saying replicas are fine and some saying they are rubbish.

I expect some replicas are fine and some are rubbish! It's probably down to pot luck, I suppose you could buy both and compare them yourself over the next couple of years, that might be quite interesting. I expect you'll still be here as will I, so I look forward to hearing about it. :biggrin5:

I think you'll get some people saying replicas are fine and some saying they are rubbish.

I expect some replicas are fine and some are rubbish! It's probably down to pot luck, I suppose you could buy both and compare them yourself over the next couple of years, that might be quite interesting. I expect you'll still be here as will I, so I look forward to hearing about it. :biggrin5:
to be honest a lot of the replica's use higher quality cells than the genuine batteries

i was the same, when chiselling etc you need to put a lot of pressure on before it starts to vibrate.

and to the guys that had the genuine batteries die within a year, the first gen makita batteries had a design floor and this was fixed years ago.

only the old non start bl1830 will be affected. the 4/5ah batteries are all not affected at all.

Very true Shanky! I should have added that but I forgot as again I'm used to it. I thought it was faulty to start with, but you just have to push it abit untill it vibrates.

Reply to Makita 18v brushless SDS drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net