Discuss Max continuity reading for bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening

I was always taught the gas and water bonds should have a continuity ideally with a maximum of 0.05 ohms, is this a exact maximum or a rule of thumb and if it was higher than this what coding would we give it? I had a look through the codebreakers booklet but could not bit see an answer

Cheers
HARRY

Did you ever look it up in the regulations or guidance notes?

There is no maximum resistance specified for bonding, just a required CSA. You should be able to work out what a reasonable resistance would be by estimating the length of an installed binding conductor.

0.05 is the suggested maximum resistance of the connection of an earth clamp to a pipe or other means of making a bonding connection.

Common misconception this one. Not sure how people think there could be such a maximum figure when the length of run could be absolutely anything.
Problem is that it’s taught in college that 0.05 is the maximum it can be and that any reading higher,a larger csa of conductor needs to be installed. My apprentice picked up on it because I’d warned him about it and the lecturer did not like being challenged on it.

Good evening

I was always taught the gas and water bonds should have a continuity ideally with a maximum of 0.05 ohms, is this a exact maximum or a rule of thumb and if it was higher than this what coding would we give it? I had a look through the codebreakers booklet but could not bit see an answer

Cheers
HARRY
I was incorrectly taught this too, and it's even in one of Chris Kitcher's books (see my post here: Gas bonding - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/gas-bonding.181362/page-2#post-1594732)

But the above comments are correct, there is no required maximum resistance.

Table I1 of the OSG suggests 1.83mΩ/m for 10mm, 3.08mΩ/m for 6mm. Guestimate the rough length of the bonding run, multiply the two numbers (length x 1.83, say), divide by 1000, maybe allow a maximum 0.05Ω for the clamp to pipe resistance... if wildly different, start investigating/checking your working/checking your nulling etc, and if still wildly different, start coding.

There will often be parallel paths (e.g. if there's a gas boiler) so the resistance may be significantly lower than the theory. But the calculations will put a rough maximum on it.

No It’s not
it's not in GN3, or his book's not at work? :) :)
[automerge]1585638819[/automerge]
post #2 by dave gives a detailed correct view of this.

it's not in GN3, or his book's not at work? :) :)
[automerge]1585638819[/automerge]
post #2 by dave gives a detailed correct view of this.
A clear explanation is given in guidance note 3 as to where the 0.05 figure comes from.
Dave’s is spot on.

Last edited:
not GN3 but GN8 earthing and bonding

Yes, my mistake, but my point still stands. There is no specified resistance for bonding conductors.

GN8 suggests 0.05 ohms as the upper limit for the resistance between the earth clamp and the pipe to prove that it is in good electrical contact.

I have gn3 updated to the 18th edition.
I have gn8 which is the 17th edition amendment 3 version.
The 0.05 is mentioned in gn3 not gn8 unless this has changed in the updated version?

Reply to Max continuity reading for bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock