Discuss Max floor area for ring question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Got a quick q hopefully someone can clear up. We've been asked to extend a ring only by about 3m to install 3x 2G sockets on the wall for a PC, monitor, small amp, printer etc in a school.

The problem is that I'm pretty sure the current ring already exceeds the max 100m2. The building (big old manor house) is about 400 years old and the whole thing is run off one board downstairs.

So my question is where we stand extending the ring by this small amount? Just pulling a fused spur from the one socket available would be the easier option but they need the capacity to plug 6 devices in.

Cheers

Adam

Unfortunately running anything new from the board would be about 4 days work, the building is like nothing you've ever seen. If nothing can be done with the existing socket on the ring then the job won't go ahead - there's no way they'll pay me 4 days labour to install 3 sockets for them.

I'll be going back later in the week to check out a few bits while doing another job so will know for definite then, think there were only 2 though. Some of the other rooms on the same ring just have the one socket in the corner. I want to take the fluke in and give it a proper check over before saying I'll take on the job really as don't want to underquote then find I've got to run a new redial 60 metres through the loft then through 2 floors!

as long as each spur is fused you can run more than one off the one socket

This would mean running 4 fused spurs off one socket, 3 for 2G sockets on the wall and one for a projector on the ceiling. This would seem to tick all boxes for the current regs but at the same time seems a bit ott! I suppose I could put the 3 2G sockets in a small length of dado and each one can have its own FCU next to it. Common sense would say to run all 3 on a single spur protected by a 13A FCU, as they're only for PC, printer etc but don't want anyone commenting on it in the future so need to make sure it's by the book :(

Thanks for all the tips, was thrown a bit out of my comfort zone on this one - too used to nice easy new builds and false ceilings!

Reply to Max floor area for ring question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock