Discuss MAX LOAD FOR DOUBLE UK DOMESTIC 3 PIN SOCKET? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dimmy

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi
With a standard 13 amp domestic uk 3 pin socket the max load is 13 amps i believe?. So does this mean that a DOUBLE socket would have a max load of 26 amps....OR is a double socket still only 13 amps?. In one part of the double socket i have ( on a 3 way adapter) a tv, a blu ray player and a router..which are all light loads. Can i plug in a 2kw portable air conditioner into the free 3 pin socket on the other half of the double socket?...it says in the manual don`t use an extension lead for the PAC....any idea why not?...i have a 2 metre 13 amp extension lead but am wary of using it...many thanks

I see no issue with this loading of a double socket.
I suspect it says not to use any extension lead because it’s the easiest way to stop people using an undersized extension lead or a coiled lead without uncoiling it fully. A correctly sized and rated extension lead won’t be a problem in reality, 1.25mm or 1.5mm cable would be suitable.

As far as I know 13A double sockets are required by the British standard to safely handle a load of 20A between the two sockets. With the standard test being a 13A load on one side and a 7A load on the other.

I see no issue with this loading of a double socket.
I suspect it says not to use any extension lead because it’s the easiest way to stop people using an undersized extension lead or a coiled lead without uncoiling it fully. A correctly sized and rated extension lead won’t be a problem in reality, 1.25mm or 1.5mm cable would be suitable.

As far as I know 13A double sockets are required by the British standard to safely handle a load of 20A between the two sockets. With the standard test being a 13A load on one side and a 7A load on the other.
It is a recommendation that loads of 2KW and above should be on their own separate circuit.

It's a portable A/C unit you see loads of them plugged in, they come with a plug fitted.

It is a recommendation that loads of 2KW and above should be on their own separate circuit.

Recommended by who and where?

Of that is the case then why on earth do we have socket circuits with more than one outlet on each circuit?

Would you install a separate circuit for a kettle, toaster, hair dryer etc etc ?

The ratings on portable air conditioners are bull anyway. See this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TROTEC-PAC-2000-Local-Conditioner/dp/B00U65A9M8

Says it has a "maximum cooling capacity of 2.0 kW", but then, in the spec, it says "Power consumption max.: 0.79 kW"!! :eek:

And here's a 5.2kW one which comes with a normal 13A plug, because it only uses 1.8kW in reality!! :rolleyes:
PAC18H - 18000 btu Portable Air Conditioner - £550.00+vat - https://www.climachill.co.uk/product/pac18h-kyd52-18000btu-portable-air-conditioner-cool-heat/

Is it 2Kw of electrical load or 2Kw of cooling?
It's normally only a 3rd electrical consumption to cooling power so should only be 0.7Kw or 3A?

HVAC units usually involve a compressor. These can have a high inrush current. They also have a limiting device to prevent restarting until the pressure in the system equalises. Which is why if you have unplugged one you should wait a few minutes before plugging back in, (to avoid a pressure lock and burning out the motor).

Manufactures know that a BS7671 socket and the lead and plug supplied will not produce a voltage drop that would give any problems. However an extension lead of a given length could cause stop start problems and motor damage. So they play safe and say no extensions.

Not really I merely said that BS7671 makes a recommendation that fixed loads of 2 KW and over are connected on a dedicated circuit

Reply to MAX LOAD FOR DOUBLE UK DOMESTIC 3 PIN SOCKET? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net