Discuss Max Zs Permitted by BS7671 value in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,
Thank you for welcoming to this forums

I just want to clarify that the Value I need to enter 100% or 80% in the last column "Maximum Zs Permitted by BS7671"
is it 80% from the table 41.3 from 18th Edition Regs - Page 62 or the value from Pocket Guide 18

Thank you
Loges

Attachments

• Pocket-Guide-18.pdf
    801 KB · Views: 49
As Strima says, you put down the value found in BS7671.
This is so the customer gets confused when the measured value is less but it still fails.
but then you confuse them even more by telling them it's oK, with RCD it's 1667.

BUT 80% is not max. it's corrected assuming cable will be fully loaded and at 70 deg.C. this will never happen. cables will be at least 30% overloaded and breaker will trip long before that temp. is reached (assuming circuit has been designed in compliance with 7671). tin hat on.

BUT 80% is not max. it's corrected assuming cable will be fully loaded and at 70 deg.C. this will never happen. cables will be at least 30% overloaded and breaker will trip long before that temp. is reached (assuming circuit has been designed in compliance with 7671). tin hat on.
Absolutely agree. I don’t understand why we even use 80%. It is overkill.
I think 90-95% would be adequate just to allow for design flaws and anomalies.

However the Cmin factor that gives 95%. So I recon that should be sufficient.

Obviously there may be very good reasons 80% is used. Maybe a figure plucked out of the air. I don’t know. Any ideas?

The maximum ALLOWED value of Zs is the 100% value
The maximum PERMITTED value of Zs is the 80% value

Pretty clear cut IMO and provides a reasonable margin of error for any changes in the environmental or installation conditions

I would rather work to the 80% value than be trying to talk my way out of a stay at one of Her Majesties hotels because I used the 100% value and it all went wrong

I would rather work to the 80% value than be trying to talk my way out of a stay at one of Her Majesties hotels because I used the 100% value and it all went wrong
It wouldnt go wrong with the 100% value, the difference in disconnection time would be marginal or non-existant in real, not calcualted situations. Nobody will ever be prosecuted for using the maximum value of Zs clearly written in the regulations.

Reply to Max Zs Permitted by BS7671 value in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock