Discuss Maybe use copper Earth tape? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm installing a new supply to a ceremoniously dumped welfare cabin. I can't see any legitimate reason not to apply section 717, welfare units are specifically mentioned and the thing is a mobile/transportable unit. In turn this dictates that it shouldn't be connected to a TN earth as to my thinking at least none of the exceptions apply. Any arguments countering this are welcome!
So my current plan is TN up to a box near it, then become TT.

My question is about possibly using earth tape (I've never used it). As there's a nice 2.5ft deep 10ft long trench in preparation for a drain I thought it might make sense to use earth tape instead of banging rod(s) in.
I believe that I've calculated that 3m of tape, 0.75m down, with soil resistivity at an arbitrary worst case 150ohm-meters should give me 35 ohms impedance. As I can see clay I think this is a reasonable worst case guess.
Any superior wisdom welcomed, I'm really seeking confirmation that it's likely I can get a better result far more easily with tape in this case.

Earth tape is a good idea, even adequate size of bare copper wire would be good and might be easier to bring out and/or crimp join to an insulated./sheathed conductor to the cabin. A trench 2.5 feet down ought to avoid frosting and any major risk of drying out.

Consider condu-disc and condu-crete.

Consider condu-disc and condu-crete.
Thanks .....but I already have!
In this case I'm not sure it's the obvious choice as there is already a nice big long deep trench. The internet is silent about the actual cost of them, and anything you have to ask the price of is usually liable to require a stiff drink afterwards to recover.

Thanks all
Earth tape is a good idea, even adequate size of bare copper wire would be good
Thanks for the idea. The earth tape I was looking at was 25 x 3mm. Result should have in fact been 45 ohms. (area vs diameter mistake!)
If I bung in 16 sq mm bare copper that gives 47 ohms, and that is worst case for soil conditions. If I add a rod for good measure I think this idea should be fine.
I'll report back on the final impedance result!

Thanks .....but I already have!
In this case I'm not sure it's the obvious choice as there is already a nice big long deep trench. The internet is silent about the actual cost of them, and anything you have to ask the price of is usually liable to require a stiff drink afterwards to recover.
It is quite surprising how you can never find the price for some these pieces of kit and that also casts doubt on the availability

It is quite surprising how you can never find the price for some these pieces of kit and that also casts doubt on the availability
I am always suspicious of products that are not quoted (unless obvious issue like custom build) as experience has taught me it means "stupidly expensive, but now we will pester you with sales calls".

The Conducrete looks useful, but it appears to be extremely difficult to get hold of. Why is this product not readily available at electrical wholesalers?

Reply to Maybe use copper Earth tape? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock