Discuss Megger 1553. Worth buying to do basic domestic stuff ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have been offered a very well looked after unit . The price is £160 with all accessories etc . Calibration finished 3 weeks ago. Unit compares reading with another calibrated unit .so a possible good buy ?????
The 1553 will do all the tests; except it won't test the A type Rcd's. Was using a 1552 till about a year ago.
I've seen conflicting messages about this. Still have a 1552 as back up, but upgraded to a second hand 1711 to get the A Type test.

15xx series does test "DC type", but noone seems to be definitive about whether that includes Type A - one day when I have both on site I keep meaning to try it out.

the 15xx series doesn't do a 2 wire no trip test, which was worth the upgrade anyway...

At that price and recently calibrated an absolute bargain for sure.
Dont tell me that, the only reason I forked out £800 on a new 1721 was to test type A's, and the 2 wire no trip, oh and not forgetting that it tests rcd's and ZS quicker !

So your better off with the 17xx series really, unless you a skinflint and get the 15xx series then you really will be better off haha. No really they are good testers sold mine on ebay for £300, and it went quickly.

The 1553 will do all the tests; except it won't test the A type Rcd's. Was using a 1552 till about a year ago.

Dont tell me that, the only reason I forked out £800 on a new 1721 was to test type A's, and the 2 wire no trip, oh and not forgetting that it tests rcd's and ZS quicker !
All the manual says is:

DC SENSITIVE RCD TESTING D.C. sensitive RCDs are tested with a pulsed waveform. The RMS current is √2 x the rated operating current of the RCD. As with the normal RCDs, these should be tested with 0° and 180° polarity

??

though presumably it would require twice the tests and manually switching between. To be honest, the 2 wire no trip test is a pretty big upgrade (though doesn't always work)

I've seen conflicting messages about this. Still have a 1552 as back up, but upgraded to a second hand 1711 to get the A Type test.

15xx series does test "DC type", but noone seems to be definitive about whether that includes Type A - one day when I have both on site I keep meaning to try it out.

the 15xx series doesn't do a 2 wire no trip test, which was worth the upgrade anyway...

At that price and recently calibrated an absolute bargain for sure.
Thats what I thought .Its condition alone allows for its value to be kept if I look after it etc.I have fitted a "screen saver" as the original screen is "soft" . There are a lot of people getting out of the game or moving into CCTV /security etc . if you know them some bargains to be had without the danger of ebay purchases etc .

Does a 1553 upset some RCBO's on the low current loop test? - I can't remember now and wouldn't mind being reminded!

The other day a fellow sparks MFT was upsetting a British General RCBO and wouldn't do a loop test without tripping. I showed him how I used to do it when I had the good old Robin 4120:
Turn RCBO off, lock it off, link Live and CPC at the circuit end (I had a special plug for RFC's),
then Live and Neutral probes on the incomer and earth probe on the isolated outgoing Live at the top of the RCBO. Even though this method is in Kitcher's Inspection and Testing book and works very well with minimal or sometime no disconnecting it seems to create great confusion the first time anyone else sees it, and as predicted it threw him, he had to draw a diagram.

Hi guys.
I have a megger 1552, and contacted Megger regarding testing type a rcds and they assured me that they can test them. Hope this helps.

Reply to Megger 1553. Worth buying to do basic domestic stuff ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock