Discuss Melted my brain thinking about EIC for a circuit on a submain... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong section - appreciate it's more of an educational question. That said I have 2391 - but the classroom environment is very different to out there in the field and I'm only really starting out in my inspection & testing journey - so please understand if this seems a "stupid" query.

I'm based at a former public sector building. It's a sprawling estate that covers a fairly large area. The core building has been expanded with many annexes, additions and extensions over the last 70 years. Some of the buildings are separate, but many are joined with service canopies or annexes.

As you can imagine there's numerous cold water risers, gas services etc coming out of the ground, or travelling in service canopies between buildings.

The site has its own detached substation, with a main intake room attached. The intake room switch fuses then go out to 3 or 4 panel boards throughout the site. One submain on one of these panelboards supplies a large MEM2 3P+E board in one part of the building. On this board there's then a C40 on 10mm that supplies a small board further along in the building (which in turn feeds local sockets and lighting in one, large room).

And here I am, looking at this small board and I've managed to fry my brain working out how to do an EIC here for say, adding a new circuit to it - specifically the early section relating to Main protective Bonding Conductors:

Would my "Main protective bonding conductor" consist of the CPC core of the 10mm T&E feeding my board? Or should I be looking at the main protective bonding conductor coming from the substation to the intake panel? We were taught to test this with the R2 wander lead - so would I test this from my little board back to my supplying MEM2 board? Or should I be testing right back to the Intake room?

Bonding to Gas/Water etc: Again we were taught to test this with the R2 wander lead method. The board I'm looking at doesn't have any bonding conductors - indeed there's no exposed pipework in this room (but there's plenty throughout the site). There's so many boards around here, across all the difference buildings, and multiple cold water / gas risers - that I really don't know where the bond is - or if it's continuous around the entire estate.

The only way I feel I could test this would be again to wander lead back from the board I'm working on right back to the main intake room (some 300m away) which seems impractical - and probably dangerous given it's a 24 hours site I'd need to trail 300m or cable across!

So I feel I've hit a bit of a brick wall. You can't LIM on an EIC but I can't get my head around what/how I should be testing these bonding conductors?

Hope this makes sense - any help or guidance much appreciated.

Reply to Melted my brain thinking about EIC for a circuit on a submain... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net