Discuss Metal Capping - earthing it? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

AFAIK, capping isn't a regulation in the 17th edition although if you want to avoid having to protect a circuit with an RCD or RCBO then ALL cabling on that circuit MUST be buried at least 50mm into a wall (as long as that doesnt take it to within 50mm of the other side of course!) OR must be capped with earthed metal capping.

hat's how I understand it anyway or have I mis-understood your question.

Oh, and as for earthing the capping, it's so that if you nail through the capping and into the live without making contact with the cpc then the fault is grounded by the capping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope it's just good practice, saying that I never bother with it if the walls are to be drylined.
Have seen capping earthed by a kitchen fitter, he cut a thin slice on the edge of the capping and used a spade terminal crimped to a length of 1.5mm green/yellow single which he took to the backbox earth terminal, looked good but pointless seen as there was no continuity between the lengths of capping.

Capping cables is still the same good practice. There is no need to earth capping as it does not meet the requirements as a earthed metallic covering suitable for service as the circuit CPC and it is not mechanically protected against damage from penetration by nails ect. Capping is more for your plaster than you..

No need for RCD on surface mounted, but must be suitable for the application. There are no safety zones for surface mounted cables.

I think we are just looking at circuits that require RCD due to installation methods,
I know what you mean thou sockets and bathrooms RCD standard.

Reply to Metal Capping - earthing it? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock