Discuss Meter Tails, recessed box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Waiting for a bashing here, but it's something I haven't had to do until now so looking for advice on the best way to approach this.

I've been asked to replace a consumer unit for a customer but the existing meter box is recessed in the exterior wall - not uncommon I know, but not something I've yet crossed.

What is the best way to get the new tails through the box and into the building - without ripping the box out of the wall to fish them up.

I'm concerned it's not a direct run, they drop down through the box then go across about a meter and pop out inside. I'm concerned about damaging the new tails on the rough walls if I was to use the existing ones to pull through with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Create a good size entry hole in to the cavity
Slide a piece of flexible conduit down the length of one existing tail until it reaches the meter box.

If the tails have been taped together, you will have to slide it over all the cores.

You can then use the original cable to pull through a draw wire or new tails directly without the possibility of damage due to sharp bricks etc.

Slide a piece of flexible conduit down the length of one existing tail until it reaches the meter box.

If the tails have been taped together, you will have to slide it over all the cores.

You can then use the original cable to pull through a draw wire or new tails directly without the possibility of damage due to sharp bricks etc.
That’s a great tip. ?

Hi - have you been able to eyeball the existing run? If possible I’d have a close look, both to review condition as per @telectrix thought and also they may not go where you first think. Many are installed all the way through the wall, sharply bent and travel on the inside wall in plaster / dot dab. This usually makes the circuit non compliant with less than 50mm, no mechanical protection and no RCD at source.

@James That's a great idea and definitely wouldn't have thought about that. I'll give it a try!

@telectrix it's an old council house and the tails are undersized unfortunately

@Wilko , it's an old build, meter box recessed in cavity, they definitely run within it then pop out through the clinker block and skim, so.will.be more than 50mm, but the wall is crumbling everywhere!

Thanks guys

Will the existing load exceed the ccc of the existing tails?
If not and as long as the tails have adequate fault protection then they are fine.
Your council tho may specify 25mm 2 tails so I’d check with them, if they do then fair enough, replace them.

Thanks for your responses all, I'm going to go ahead with increasing the tail size as I know the customer wants to get himself an electric car at some point and the if they're upgraded now, it will save any hassle down the line.

On another note, just while I've got you, what the hell is going on here (this is a different property, TT):
Meter Tails, recessed box IMG_20200910_140707 - EletriciansForums.net

Without opening the covers, I'm presuming the neutral has been joined to the outed core of the line cable?

Reply to Meter Tails, recessed box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock