Discuss Methods for pricing domestic new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm fairly recently (about a year) self employed, and I have been asked to give a estimate for a 3 storey new build. Having read other information online regarding pricing it seems pricing per point or per sq metre seem the way to go. Just wondering what peoples prefer ways are as currently I am getting nowhere quickly.
Thank you in advance

Has the architect provided diagrams showing accessory positions etc? Any requirement for data/TV points, EVCP, PV etc?

For a one off build I'd probably sit down for a day and design the full installation from the blueprints.

has old bruise you to say more point more prizes.
get drawing work out the cost and extras has well .
if you going to work for builder and extra cost on top of that
plus one nail gun and nice pair of boots .

A 'one off' new build you say, first things first you will need the exact spec for what the client wants.
This you can then use to give your 'price' based upon number of points.
Make sure your 'price' clearly lists EXACTLY what they are paying for and what you have AGREED to install.
Anything above and beyond this is an EXTRA and is CHARGABLE

A 'one off' new build you say, first things first you will need the exact spec for what the client wants.
This you can then use to give your 'price' based upon number of points.
Make sure your 'price' clearly lists EXACTLY what they are paying for and what you have AGREED to install.
Anything above and beyond this is an EXTRA and is CHARGABLE
All this.

I would personally price as expected days + day rate (which should be inclusive of outgoings) + contingency days. My day rate would be somewhere in the region of £300 and includes all my outgoings and profit for the actual business as opposed to just wages.

The most important part of Dusty's post is the last part - you ONLY do what you charged for and agreed. Everything else, no matter how small, is a billable extra.

You have miss interpreted my question, you want £X per day, but how long is your day?

Hi,
I'm fairly recently (about a year) self employed, and I have been asked to give a estimate for a 3 storey new build. Having read other information online regarding pricing it seems pricing per point or per sq metre seem the way to go. Just wondering what peoples prefer ways are as currently I am getting nowhere quickly.
Thank you in advance
Factor in if you are also supplying juice for the trades to start work . Site lighting . What access you will have . what other trades will be in your way etc etc . Many things to think about other than the cables and sockets !

Factor in if you are also supplying juice for the trades to start work . Site lighting . What access you will have . what other trades will be in your way etc etc . Many things to think about other than the cables and sockets !
This ^

it is never as straight forward as just pulling in some wires , you are always waiting on others to put up some stud or waiting for wet pants to get out your way or waiting for plaster to dry before you can finish a room etc

this is why you should have 2 jobs of the go at once so you can bounce back and forth between them thus avoiding too much wasted down time

This ^

it is never as straight forward as just pulling in some wires , you are always waiting on others to put up some stud or waiting for wet pants to get out your way or waiting for plaster to dry before you can finish a room etc

this is why you should have 2 jobs of the go at once so you can bounce back and forth between them thus avoiding too much wasted down time
Now this is the issue for me ..Ive never ever doubled up on work .You get caught on one and the client expects you on the other ! I know its all madness .But I have always worked this way

This ^

Now this is the issue for me ..Ive never ever doubled up on work .You get caught on one and the client expects you on the other ! I know its all madness .But I have always worked this way
I agree with you both, but with a slight difference. I never have 2 large jobs on the go at the same time due to reasons Luke said. However, I always have smaller jobs that I can slot into the days when I'm not needed on the big job.

I agree with you both, but with a slight difference. I never have 2 large jobs on the go at the same time due to reasons Luke said. However, I always have smaller jobs that I can slot into the days when I'm not needed on the big job.
True..I always have a few little jobs for people that are happy to wait and they know somehow they will be done .So if the weather turns or something happens .I can zoom to the smaller job and get them done.I always trust them so get any fittings/materials and hang on to them

I try to work out how many days at £x per day plus materials ( inc 10% min) plus a contingency for ---- days or ---- customers changing their mind ( plus 2 x days !!! Then I take that figure and compare it to a price per point ! See which one Is higher and go for that one !!! Good luck mate

Out of curiosity how do wet pants price a new build or string of new builds ? Price per rad , price per tap etc etc ?

Plastering is easy pricing by SqMtr , Tiling again easy pricing by SqMtr

Reply to Methods for pricing domestic new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock