Discuss MFT selection for domestic electricians in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gakure

-
Reaction score
I have never used other MFT than Megger. I know there are other popular MFT, but what does majority of forumist use and why?

Which one will you recommend for newly gone alone domestic electrician?
Regards

If you are used to Megger then that would be a good bet. Just make sure it's got the functions you require and away you go.
Budget will be your main deciding factor really.

I use a Kewtech simply because that is what we used at the training centre and it was easier to stay with what you are used to.

If you look on Gumtree or ebay you can sometimes find a used one in good condition but be careful to buy one that has a valid test certificate, and looks in good condition. Avoid those that are being sold off because the user has bought a new one because the condition will be poor for the money.

I use a Kewtech simply because that is what we used at the training centre and it was easier to stay with what you are used to.

If you look on Gumtree or ebay you can sometimes find a used one in good condition but be careful to buy one that has a valid test certificate, and looks in good condition. Avoid those that are being sold off because the user has bought a new one because the condition will be poor for the money.
Thanks for prompt reply.
My fear with gum tree and ebay is continuous news and agony of broken vans. I will really hate to promote those thieving you know who *******s

Metrel MI3000 is a decent bit of kit as well.
This is what I have used for the last 7 years. Just passed calibration Saturday morning with no probs.
Has all the features for domestic work and many more that see me good for my commercial work.
If you could get a good second hand one it would probably not be very much.

Megger or Fluke. However as others have said, the Kewtech KT63 is very good value.

Kewtech for me. I like the results for RCD all six tests are on the same screen. A nice straightforward interface dial for the different tests. Also has a magnetic back which has proved its worth on the KT63 although now I use the KT65DL which has all the test functions. I did buy a megger 1741 but just did not get on with it after being spoiled by the ease of the Kewtech. I sold off the megger and stick to the 65DL.

One of the facility I like with megger is use of 2 wire (Red and green) for nearly everything, does metrel MI3000 has this function?
Yes.

As said elsewhere, start with a good idea of what you want to do. Then eliminate anything in each of the manufacture 's range that does not do what you need. Research your prices and there is you reduce list of options. I made my final selection at the Electricians show but Test-Meter.Co. UK have a good website.

Reply to MFT selection for domestic electricians in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock