Discuss Minor Works? Installation? Notifiable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

optician

Hi
I recently visited a property the was experiencing tripping of an Mcb when turning on a 3 kw hand wash appliance in a down stairs loo.
All earth cables present and correct, old wired board but with plug in MCB's No Rcd protection.
Some Numpty had wired the hand wash to the 6 amp alarm and bell circuit with 1mm 3 core cable.
So the MCB was doing its Job.

So i ran 2.5 cable from hand wash unit back to the board to a little used 16amp MCb.
Problem solved. All tests fine and Zs 0.26.

So Minor works certificate ? Installation Certificate? and is it Notifiable?

Any response is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

I read to understand that you connected the new cable into an existing circuit at the distribution board? Also does the room contain a bath or shower?

Happy to be proved wrong, on face value this seems pretty straight forward to me - it’s notifiable.

Different cable size selected.

It may raise the question whether it should have been notified prior to installation.

I wouldn't class this as a major alteration to an existing circuit. Op has wired the appliance in 2.5mm cable into an existing 16A circuit which is likely wired in existing 2.5mm cable - minor works for me and sod notification

Very triggers broom replacing the cable and we're.in the db it goes to.
But just a spur off a existing circuit

Who the he'll installed this dryer in the first place, it could of never worked.

I'd notify this, in my opinion it's a new circuit.
Not saying that's the definitive answer, just that for the sake of 5 minutes on a computer and a couple of quid I would.
If you had done exactly the same work and there had been a spare way at the cu you would have used that and not thought twice about it.

Good debate - I like threads like this. And at least they stay friendly (mostly) these days. Daz

It's only an existing MCB though. He's run a new cable. Daz

FACT - An existing mcb is NOT a circuit, it is merely a circuit protective device.

FACT - The installation of a new, appropriately rated cable to the handwash unit is clearly a NEW CIRCUIT and is therefore notifiable.

Notification is a total farce BUT trying to convince yourselves that new installations are merely alterations is insulting to the trade.

If a job is notifiable and you you chose not to notify that is your choice ; but surely it is unfair to mislead less experienced forum members with the use of such laughable arguments?

Last edited:
FACT - An existing mcb is NOT a circuit, it is merely a circuit protective device.

FACT - The installation of a new, appropriately rated cable to the handwash unit is clearly a NEW CIRCUIT and is therefore notifiable.

But all outgoing wiring connected to a single OCPD is a circuit as defined in bs7671
The installation of a second outgoing cable in to the OCPD of an existing circuit is an alteration to that circuit. However it may be very poor design and not compliant for other reasons

Reply to Minor Works? Installation? Notifiable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net