Discuss MK Logic Plus vs Hager Sollysta - which one should I choose? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

@nicebutdim Mate - have you ever come across Knightsbridge accessories please, and how do they fare? (I have a discontinued in-line dimmer from them, and just came to realize that they also made wall accessories)

It's not a brand I would ever have considered buying, but recently wired a house with decorative Knightsbridge accessories. I couldn't fault them and the grid range was a perfect match for other accessories, when needing intermediate switches on a couple of four gang plates. Terminals and terminal layout was no better ot worse than most other accessories.

Obviously I've no idea about long term use.

It wasn't a loose wire, so either a dodgy contact or plaster dust had got in. I had a broken faceplate that had got dropped before installation and swapped out the switch insert and no problem since then.
There was one occasion when I was enjoying the possession of my newly purchased Click Mode wall switches - and water sprayed onto them by accident and I was in total panic.

Fortunately, thanks to the design, individual modules could be taken off the faceplate, and even the modules themselves could be easily taken apart and reassembled.

I dried the water out and put the switches back, and now all the 5 gangs are now in proper use.

1704305077922.jpeg

Not sure if other series / brands could be taken apart this easily, but if your installation environment is subject to plaster dust or such, you might consider light switches that are convenient to take apart for inspection before reassembly.

I'm not a fan of the rockers on the Click stuff tbh - far too square edged. Makes it feel very 80s.
Sorry mate, I just realized you said "rockers" rather than "faceplate".

FWIW, I truly understand what you mean, and I felt the same while looking at online pictures. But imho, those rockers have a slightly curved surface which makes it more modern somehow...?

mmexport1704472581592.jpg

I have a few UK friends renting 1980s houses / apartments which had really old-looking switches whose rockers come with flat surfaces instead, such as --

mmexport1704472573222.jpg

But in short, I think you meant something like the above by saying "80s"?

Not sure if I'm correct, but please point out if I'm wrong...

Cheers!

I actually prefer that "80s" square style over the curved designs like the "new" MK Logic+.
And on that, WTF did MK keep the same product codes for a completely different range. There was a time when I'd have scoured 2nd hand sites for the old Logic stuff, but if there is anything it's drowned out by a gazzillion hits on the new stuff.

I actually prefer that "80s" square style over the curved designs like the "new" MK Logic+.
And on that, WTF did MK keep the same product codes for a completely different range. There was a time when I'd have scoured 2nd hand sites for the old Logic stuff, but if there is anything it's drowned out by a gazzillion hits on the new stuff.

Quite a bit of their old metalclad range makes its way onto ebay, but mostly from people who have a grossly overinflated sense of its value.

Aha, did you mean curved rockers or curved faceplates?

Flat raised plate, with square corners and square switches.
I got your idea, and indeed I'm less interested in these appearances. My rented flat in the UK comes with the Schneider GET Exclusive range which has a similar look to your pic, which resonates badly with the wall when pressed.

Living alone has been tedious; I can't fault these switches in any way, but to me, living with these switches simply makes my life alone more than a tedious wait... (Crabtree or Click might be better for me, but this is a rented apartment after all!)

@Ric2013 Mate, with the absence of a prompt reply from Electrium, I would assume they're made in China, or elsewhere with cheaper labor cost, given their similar cost to Click Mode.
Your profile says you are from China, are you looking for info about other brands as you work for one or a company creating a similar product? Most will do the job just fine for you.

Your profile says you are from China, are you looking for info about other brands as you work for one or a company creating a similar product? Most will do the job just fine for you.
Hi there - I apologize if this causes any confusions. I'm not working in the industry but just a music student. I'm indeed from China and I'm attending a UK institution. I was just finding UK switches interesting to me, and looking to bring some most worthy ones back for installation. I enjoy them - but as they're not available in China and given my limited travel opportunities, I need to make sure that they last.

I do appreciate that you said most would work fine for me. However, speaking of MK, such a reputable brand - if I weren't on the forum, I certainly wouldn't have expected their poor quality and would have ordered way more than I did, only to be disappointed by quality upon returning to China. For the same reason I might have over-worried about warranty or something.

Please pardon my OCD - I apologize if I appear very picky and hence wordy here! I really appreciate all your responses that have actually been very informative to me already, and now my preference has now almost settled...

I got your idea, and indeed I'm less interested in these appearances. My rented flat in the UK comes with the Schneider GET Exclusive range which has a similar look to your pic, which resonates badly with the wall when pressed.
These things are always going to be a matter or preference.
And of course, there will always be differences in implementation. There are manufacturers who make stuff that looks identical to the old MK Logic - but the ones I've tried tend to have very "hard" switch actions, even verging on the "nearly impossible to operate" in some cases.
And then there's differences in buildings. The same switch will work and sound very differently when installed on (say) a lightweight partition wall vs a solid brick wall.

As far as noise goes, try the French lighting momentary switch with a mechanical latching relay in the consumer unit, it's nothing short of a loud bang in the CU, usually located in the living room or kitchen, electronic latching relay's are available now, but only in the last ten years or so, in most properties these have not be changed, UK people holidaying in France must have noticed.

As far as noise goes, try the French lighting momentary switch with a mechanical latching relay in the consumer unit, it's nothing short of a loud bang in the CU, usually located in the living room or kitchen, electronic latching relay's are available now, but only in the last ten years or so, in most properties these have not be changed, UK people holidaying in France must have noticed.
I enjoy the noise you're talking about though. Not only in France - in China many luxury hotels have adopted a key-fob-operated master switch that goes to the electromagnetic relay in the circuit breaker, which subsequently controls the lights and outlets (except UPS), and sometimes also the A/C, in the guest room. It's quite amusing to hear the noise when the master power supply turns on/off. These are more common where the room lighting is governed by a relay box controlled by low-voltage retractive switches.

(Sorry, please correct me if I'm not using the correct terminology)

And of course, if the relays are AC, they hum when engaged.
At a previous employer we were in a shared office building with all electric heating (storage heaters). The meters were elsewhere in the building, so each unit had a contactor controlled by the switch in the meter. A significant bang when they pulled in, and a hum while they were in - we knew when we'd got off-peak power during the day (it did happen from time to time).

In a domestic situation it has to be the most annoying noise you can hear half way through the night when getting up to relieve yourself or worse someone else doing the same.

Reply to MK Logic Plus vs Hager Sollysta - which one should I choose? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock