Discuss MK Logic Plus vs Hager Sollysta - which one should I choose? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

And of course, if the relays are AC, they hum when engaged.
At a previous employer we were in a shared office building with all electric heating (storage heaters). The meters were elsewhere in the building, so each unit had a contactor controlled by the switch in the meter. A significant bang when they pulled in, and a hum while they were in - we knew when we'd got off-peak power during the day (it did happen from time to time).
That's really interesting. If I ever travel to North America I would feel incomplete if I don't hear the 60Hz hum (approx. a minor third above the 50Hz hum)!

Could you name a few that you find "hard"?
I don't recommend Axiom.

On a different tack ...
I got caught out when I was doing the living room last year and bought some Varilight fittings (to match the existing ones). It was only when I came to fit them that I found some of their ranges are a bit larger so two singles won't fit on a dual box.
There was some colourful language when I found that.

bought some Varilight fittings (to match the existing ones)
Ah, Varilight - did you mean their non-dimming switch range like the below?

1705040293592.jpeg

Would be helpful to know if you mean the above is really slightly larger than average UK single plates...? I have a backbox hole that is just too large for an MK Logic+ failed to cover fully...

You need to look at the specs. These are 91x91mm, while these are 86x86mm. That extra 10mm width means that the first of those won't fit side by side on a dual box, or where you've spaced boxes to suit standard accessories. I was "a bit annoyed" when I realised - only when I came to start fitting them. Since I didn't have time to wait for something else, I used what was in stock locally, including replacing what had already been there (I added a lot of sockets), and now it's all Logic+

You need to look at the specs. These are 91x91mm, while these are 86x86mm. That extra 10mm width means that the first of those won't fit side by side on a dual box, or where you've spaced boxes to suit standard accessories. I was "a bit annoyed" when I realised - only when I came to start fitting them. Since I didn't have time to wait for something else, I used what was in stock locally, including replacing what had already been there (I added a lot of sockets), and now it's all Logic+

Problem here is that practically every accessory is manufactured to the same dimensions. Granted decorative stuff can be slightly larger, but that's a fractional difference which is easily overcome. If a manufacturer wants to go against the grain, it would be nice if they were to make those differences more apparent than hiding them in a spec sheet which pretty much no one should need to read.

Is there a British standard in play here or is it just through convention that manufacturers stick to tried and tested sizes?

Problem here is that practically every accessory is manufactured to the same dimensions. Granted decorative stuff can be slightly larger, but that's a fractional difference which is easily overcome. If a manufacturer wants to go against the grain, it would be nice if they were to make those differences more apparent than hiding them in a spec sheet which pretty much no one should need to read.
Oh I agree, and I can assure you that when I figured out what was wrong, someone's ears must have been burning at Varilight !
Is there a British standard in play here or is it just through convention that manufacturers stick to tried and tested sizes?
TBH I have no idea.

@Simon47 As you say, Varilight switches are 91x91; yet ironically their dimmers (which I have 17 at home) are 85x85. It's ironic here the discrepancy between their sizes should they be installed side by side - we don't have anything within the Varilight brand to match the aesthetics of Varilight dimmers!!!

It seems the Crabtree Capital range might however do the job... I'm returning home around Easter and will try matching them.

@Simon47 As you say, Varilight switches are 91x91; yet ironically their dimmers (which I have 17 at home) are 85x85. It's ironic here the discrepancy between their sizes should they be installed side by side - we don't have anything within the Varilight brand to match the aesthetics of Varilight dimmers!!!

It seems the Crabtree Capital range might however do the job... I'm returning home around Easter and will try matching them.
Sorry, my fault here - I didn't check the specs carefully. The Varilight white switches are also 85x85.

But even so, the Varilight white switches won't match their white dimmers in terms of aesthetic design.

What about Electrium (Crabtree, Marbo[ourn], Volex, and Wylex brands)? Wikipedia still shows one UK factory, whatever that means...
I looked up on The Crabtree Society website that is dedicated to their brand history, and their newsletter (see Issue 5) says:

1705913286272.png

The wiring accessories are thus said to be manufactured in the UK, but not sure if this is still the case today. The Wythenshawe factory, on the other hand, houses the production of protection devices etc.

Reply to MK Logic Plus vs Hager Sollysta - which one should I choose? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock