Discuss MK Logic Plus vs Hager Sollysta - which one should I choose? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've recently been interested in Crabtree Capital -

Has anyone been using Crabtree please - and how do they fare?

Quality is good, but Capital has been on the market for years and isn't exactly modern in appearance.

Crabtree have a newer range named instinct which looks much nicer and has an excellent terminal layout, but I haven't used it and can not comment on quality.

Quality is good, but Capital has been on the market for years and isn't exactly modern in appearance.

Crabtree have a newer range named instinct which looks much nicer and has an excellent terminal layout, but I haven't used it and can not comment on quality.
Thanks again - I do agree the Capital line looks un-modern!

FWIW, my house had a lot of wiring work undertaken around 15 years ago. It wasn't a total rewire so there are a lot of very legacy faceplates still in use. Around 50% are probably 1990s or older, with the new faceplates being MK Logic Plus for the sockets and MK, Marbo, or Crabtree for other fittings.

Most of the MK Sentry consumer unit was installed around 20 years ago and most of that unit and its modules were retained in the work that took place 15 years ago.

Failures:

buzzing switch on a nearly-new MK Logic Plus 2-way lightswitch after a few months

the plastic broke on the fulcrum of a very old Ashley 2-way lightswitch

a month ago, an MK SP RCBO 30mA type AC that was serving the 1st-floor light circuit since it was installed new 15 years ago tripped and wouldn't stay untripped even with the load disconnected (there was no obvious fault on the circuit and none that I am aware of).

So of the 3 items to require replacement, 2 were modern MK, one was ancient Ashley, and they all related to the lighting circuits. My home installation is more MK than any other brand, but it has struck me as odd that I had two failures with modern MK and none with the older stuff.

Common on dimmers due to the choke used to suppress noise, but on a simple switch a worry!

Either contacts not closing properly, or a loos wire?
It wasn't a loose wire, so either a dodgy contact or plaster dust had got in. I had a broken faceplate that had got dropped before installation and swapped out the switch insert and no problem since then.

OK, getting plaster dust inside would explain things and is not a manufacturer-related fault.
I wouldn't want to judge a manufacturer on a single switch failure anyway, and we don't know if it was plaster. There was obviously dust in the air due to various decorating works and it didn't seem to affect any of the switched sockets or other switches that are in the same room; however, if I did carry out an autopsy, the result wasn't conclusive.

All I am saying is that, statistically, MK Logic Plus hasn't been the most reliable lightswitch in this house because there were 5 installed 15 years ago (if we count a 2G switch as two) and one failed. You could also say that the very old Ashley lightswitches haven't been reliable because there were 4 in use 15 years ago and one has since failed. The sample size is insufficient and there a lot of lightswitches in this house and some get used more than others. I just thought I'd add my sample to the other 5 pages as, combined, the sample size becomes more meaningful.

I wouldn't want to judge a manufacturer on a single switch failure anyway, and we don't know if it was plaster. There was obviously dust in the air due to various decorating works and it didn't seem to affect any of the switched sockets or other switches that are in the same room; however, if I did carry out an autopsy, the result wasn't conclusive.

All I am saying is that, statistically, MK Logic Plus hasn't been the most reliable lightswitch in this house because there were 5 installed 15 years ago (if we count a 2G switch as two) and one failed. You could also say that the very old Ashley lightswitches haven't been reliable because there were 4 in use 15 years ago and one has since failed. The sample size is insufficient and there a lot of lightswitches in this house and some get used more than others. I just thought I'd add my sample to the other 5 pages as, combined, the sample size becomes more meaningful.
On the other hand, speaking of Logic Plus, I'm having problems with my terminal screws which have worn out upon installation (3 out of 5 gangs failed). Never going for it again.

I expect most low priced goods to be manufactured in China, but thought I'd read that Click manufactured accessories in the UK.
Not to worry at all - you're not the only one who suggested that Click accessories were made in the UK!
(And it's just a bit cringe to me that there are tons of made-in-China items that just aren't available in China)
I guess they'd be much more expensive if made here.
Makes total sense. No wonder the Varilight white unfurnished dimmer faceplate (UK-made) were far more expensive, i.e. Ā£7~Ā£8, while that of Click is only Ā£1~Ā£2.

Reply to MK Logic Plus vs Hager Sollysta - which one should I choose? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock