Discuss Mobile Barista at wits end! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

WOW! Thank you so much for your extensive and very interesting and informative reply! It really is very very much appreciated!! Whilst I couldn't fathom most of the maths (without a lot more coffee), I'm coming to the conclusion that batteries aren't feasible.

I am struggling to find the Yuasa GC200 batteries for sale online.

Out of interest I looked up Li-ion ones and almost choked on my coffee!! LOL

We know a guy on here who can instantly boil water for free...
He’s definitely worth a shout!

You will need a pair of spoons

We know a guy on here who can instantly boil water for free...
He’s definitely worth a shout!

You will need a pair of spoons

Problem with that is it’s perpetual. You can’t turn it off once it’s on.
That’s a lot of coffee to be drinking.

I would think that any event these days would offer a power socket for any exhibitor or caterer that required it.
If they are the ones that say you can’t use generators, they have to supply an alternative.

Problem with that is it’s perpetual. You can’t turn it off once it’s on.
That’s a lot of coffee to be drinking.

I would think that any event these days would offer a power socket for any exhibitor or caterer that required it.
If they are the ones that say you can’t use generators, they have to supply an alternative.

Sadly it really doesn't work like that :-(

I would run far far away from a 6v system. A 24 volt would be much better
I don't think anyone was suggesting using 6V, only building the battery out of 6V blocks.
I wonder if there is any way that you could make me understand why? The explanation will need to be very very basic

The lower the voltage, the higher the current required for a certain power (they are inversely proportional, half the voltage requires twice the current etc.). The higher the current, the greater the voltage drop in the resistance of the cables, isolator, inverter electronics etc. But at the same time, there's less voltage available to be dropped, e.g. 0.6V drop represents 10% loss at 6V, but only 5% at 12V and 2.5% at 24V.

The result is that for a given wiring setup, the losses decrease as the inverse square of the voltage. For a given wiring system handling a given wattage, doubling the voltage reduces the loss by a factor of four. Put another way, to achieve the same loss level, at 6V the wiring and accessories need to be 16 times as heavy as for 24V, meaning a lot of copper! FWIW there aren't 6V inverters, but even a 12V system requires four times the cable size and four times as many transistors in the inverter, etc, to achieve the same efficiency as a 24V equivalent. At low powers, this makes little difference. At the power levels you require, even 24V is copper-heavy and 48V would be better, although this tends to increase the cost and size of batteries because of the greater number of individual cells. I expect the happy medium would be 24V.

I am struggling to find the Yuasa GC200 batteries for sale online.

I just pulled the type number out of the Yuasa catalogue at random because it had nice round numbers. Their suggested application was automatic guided factory vehicles. There are hundreds similar.

I don't think anyone was suggesting using 6V, only building the battery out of 6V blocks.

The lower the voltage, the higher the current required for a certain power (they are inversely proportional, half the voltage requires twice the current etc.). The higher the current, the greater the voltage drop in the resistance of the cables, isolator, inverter electronics etc. But at the same time, there's less voltage available to be dropped, e.g. 0.6V drop represents 10% loss at 6V, but only 5% at 12V and 2.5% at 24V.

The result is that for a given wiring setup, the losses decrease as the inverse square of the voltage. For a given wiring system handling a given wattage, doubling the voltage reduces the loss by a factor of four. Put another way, to achieve the same loss level, at 6V the wiring and accessories need to be 16 times as heavy as for 24V, meaning a lot of copper! FWIW there aren't 6V inverters, but even a 12V system requires four times the cable size and four times as many transistors in the inverter, etc, to achieve the same efficiency as a 24V equivalent. At low powers, this makes little difference. At the power levels you require, even 24V is copper-heavy and 48V would be better, although this tends to increase the cost and size of batteries because of the greater number of individual cells. I expect the happy medium would be 24V.

I just pulled the type number out of the Yuasa catalogue at random because it had nice round numbers. Their suggested application was automatic guided factory vehicles. There are hundreds similar.

Thank you once again for the lengthy and detailed reply and understandable explanations :)

No pressure, but if you had my set up, what would you have? (I trust and respect your advice/opinion)

if you had my set up, what would you have?

A Showmans steam road loco. Loads of hot water available free from the injector spill, up to 30 kilowatts of leccy from the dynamo, handy puffs of steam from the water gauge blowdown for frothing milk, enough grunt to pull a dozen vending trailers and a unique atmosphere and selling point. You could italianise the name to make it seem more authentically coffee-related. 'Avelino e Portio - caffè cilindrico direttamente dal motore'.

A Showmans steam road loco. Loads of hot water available free from the injector spill, up to 30 kilowatts of leccy from the dynamo, handy puffs of steam from the water gauge blowdown for frothing milk, enough grunt to pull a dozen vending trailers and a unique atmosphere and selling point. You could italianise the name to make it seem more authentically coffee-related. 'Avelino e Portio - caffè cilindrico direttamente dal motore'.

... and if I can't find one of those on eBay?

LPG Honda?

Or Nuclear. We haven't done a feasibility study on that yet. Compact, silent and long-lasting... RTGs work in space probes so they might work for you.

I had a nuclear scan a few weeks ago it is harmless too. takes about five hours to get into the system though , so you might have a bit of a queue. ;)

herbal tea and bitter coffee, YUK. ...convert to a mobile real ale bottle bar, then all you need is a cooler set to 10 deg.C, 52 deg.F.

tried that starfuks once. never again was like pond mud. i'm a nescafe original with 3 heaped spoons sugar man.

Reply to Mobile Barista at wits end! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock