Discuss Most important knowledge and skills for new electricians.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

and make sure, esp. with domestic tw4t customers, that if you see any furniture /decor/etc. in a damaged condition, point it out and take a pic. before you get any tools in the house , because some pr1ck will try and con you into paying for something that was damaged the year before.

and make sure, esp. with domestic tw4t customers, that if you see any furniture /decor/etc. in a damaged condition, point it out and take a pic. before you get any tools in the house , because some pr1ck will try and con you into paying for something that was damaged the year before.

The last time you were there!

If you are working in someone's house or elsewhere for that matter and ladies have left their handbags or guy left his wallet on side point it out and ask them to remove it then accusations cannot be made.

Always walk away from live unisolated 3-phase fuse boards to collect your keys from the pretend office (table on the other side of the room) in the hope that a fellow student or lecturer will complete the work for you or electrocute themselves trying. Also, don't forget to trust any and all bystanders with the keys to the 3-phase fuse board, they know what they're doing and just want to make your life easier.

Knowledge: The more you learn,the more you realise how much you don't know.So you can decide not to learn more so you will be a happy dude or be a knowledge slave for the rest of your electrician life.
Skills:Attention to detail, time management and functioning brain.

Keep your phone switched off.
Don't talk when you should be listening.
When the times right ask lots of questions.

Get to know your test equipment inside out and learn what every reading means and why you're getting that reading .
Try not to over think things too much but never dismiss anything without proving it.
Finally strive to be the very best you can be and you will succeed.

On a serious note on the 2nd or was it 3rd year build there were 2 female adapters entering into the bottom of the consumer unit. It didn't occur to me that the legs of each side of the ring should go into one and out the other I just tried to split the the amount of cables going through 50/50. I did remember to mark the other end of the ring with electrical tape though and rerouted the legs when the lecturer pointed it out.

On a serious note on the 2nd or was it 3rd year build there were 2 female adapters entering into the bottom of the consumer unit. It didn't occur to me that the legs of each side of the ring should go into one and out the other I just tried to split the the amount of cables going through 50/50. I did remember to mark the other end of the ring with electrical tape though and rerouted the legs when the lecturer pointed it out.
Did the Lecturer explain his reasoning for insisting that the in and out ring cables should go through separate entries?

So no rules and regulations quoted, would he have marked you down if you had done your way? would have made more sense to take both RFC cables through the same entry (Assuming we are talking Twin and Earth) Both cables same entry and mark them for testing purposes (RFC figure of 8 testing R1+R2) Personally I don't think he showed much common sense in telling you this, it doesn't make any sense really, how would you do it that way if you were using conduit and singles? a tube in and a tube returning laughable in all honesty.

both legs should enter through the same hole esp. if the enclosure is metal.

We were putting singles through conduit for the ring part of the project, he used to work on massive industrial building circuits, designing and overseeing installations. I have enough respect for him not to question how things should be done.

We have to remember the work was a simulation as most cables in real homes come through the wall into the back of a consumer unit and down into MCBs or RCDs or to wherever else for Neutrals and CPCs.

We were putting singles through conduit for the ring part of the project, he used to work on massive industrial building circuits, designing and overseeing installations. I have enough respect for him not to question how things should be done.

We have to remember the work was a simulation as most cables in real homes come through the wall into the back of a consumer unit and down into MCBs or RCDs or to wherever else for Neutrals and CPCs.
It's commendable that you have respect for your lecturer, I'm sure the respect would be reciprocated if you asked him for his reason, after all learning is a two way thing, if you ask questions it will show you are listening, plus there is nothing at all wrong with questioning things, it sounds as though he has your respect, so ask and don't think your question is stupid.
I'm sure he would be only to pleased to explain, even it's, as you surmise a common sense thing, we all learn new things as I did with a thread on this forum, and I'm 72 going on 73, according to some I should know it all.

Reply to Most important knowledge and skills for new electricians.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net