Discuss Moved a BT master socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Had a call this morning, customer come back from visiting family and during the recent up and down weather it appears rain has got in and damaged the BT master socket. they had no phone/broadband I moved it from one corner to underneath the built in shelving in lounge. outside the wall where the BT cable comes in is mud, debris plants etc.. the water had pooled in the area and found a way in as the hole is very low down and not sealed. the floor inside is below ground level by around a foot inside.
Called me as the open reach engineer was going off on one telling them they will have to pay for the call out as quote 'somebody has moved this and its not allowed, it is open reach property' you know the usual script they stick too.
I actually moved it to the other side of room around 18 months ago and have now moved it back owing to redecorating.
they said nobody has touched it (its in exactly the place originally fitted and same plastic fittings)... in any case its the cable and hole openreach/bt drilled that allowed water to get in!
They are refusing to pay the call out charge that the engineer is trying to bill them, they have told the person on the phone that if they issue a bill then they will issue small claims proceedings for the water damage caused by BT drilling a hole in a stupid place and allowing water to enter the property damaging the plaster and wall etc.. apparently somebody will call them back on Monday to discuss it.

Anybody else had issues with the openreach lot being a pain in the backside!?

I have moved loads of bt points and dont see what the problem is myself... it wasnt my handywork that caused the issue but the inability of a bloke to drill a hole and seal it!

I certainly wouldn't move a gas meter or service head as that requires skills I don't possess...but a BT master socket? Done dozens of them...no-one's going to die, and the wiring isn't exactly difficult. The last time the engineer came to fix my broadband I had to take the socket off the wall, and the back box, fish out the master socket from the cavity and reterminate everything before he arrived (the master was a horrid, yellowed box and Mrs Pirate wanted it hidden and a polished brass box installed instead). The chap took one look at the old box and went to his van and fitted a brand new one...and the broadband was improved too.

I certainly wouldn't move a gas meter or service head as that requires skills I don't possess...but a BT master socket? Done dozens of them...no-one's going to die, and the wiring isn't exactly difficult. The last time the engineer came to fix my broadband I had to take the socket off the wall, and the back box, fish out the master socket from the cavity and reterminate everything before he arrived (the master was a horrid, yellowed box and Mrs Pirate wanted it hidden and a polished brass box installed instead). The chap took one look at the old box and went to his van and fitted a brand new one...and the broadband was improved too.
It has nothing to do with having the skills or the difficulty of moving it, it ain't yours to move.

they won't like me then. original master was in front hall, 4 extension sockets had been added over the years. router is in conservatory round back. couple of years ago, had a fault. by dissing all the slave sockets, problem disappeared. as we have 4 cordless phones, i decided to move master to by router (as EE says it's best to have the router in the master). 30m of external black cat 5, over garage roof, from BT connection box up top of wall straight off the overhead line, into master in conservatory. end of problems. anyone complains i''l point them to the last time they repaired a neighbour's connection and failed to re-insert the fuse for next door's line.

This actually came up on a commercial property i am currently working on.... I said i wouldnt touch them (they have 3 incoming lines)

BT wanted ÂŁ150 per line + vat despite them all running down 1 multicore cable and all master sockets next to each other on the wall...

Customer had a google and there are companies advertising bt master socket relocation as a service??? It was done in an hour...

This actually came up on a commercial property i am currently working on.... I said i wouldnt touch them (they have 3 incoming lines)

BT wanted ÂŁ150 per line + vat despite them all running down 1 multicore cable and all master sockets next to each other on the wall...

Customer had a google and there are companies advertising bt master socket relocation as a service??? It was done in an hour...
Your right thereby are wrong. Simple.

That’s fine ... you aren’t involved .... so if anything goes wrong it’s down to the customer .....

now this how it goes ,did a job for a customer the master in back room ,added a new socket in the front room ,customer rang BT I cannot get any thing on the phone in the front room ,BT engineer turn up yes you have a fault in the front room .can you fix it
engineer to customer no ,this what I'm going to do I'm going to disconnect it. the master in the back room belongs to open reach.

now this how it goes ,did a job for a customer master in back room ,added a new socket in the front room ,customer rang BT I cannot get any thing on the phone in the front room ,BT engineer turn up yes you have a fault in the front room .can you fix it
engineer to customer no ,this what I'm going to do I'm going to disconnect it. the master in the back room belongs to open reach.

"It has nothing to do with having the skills or the difficulty of moving it, it ain't yours to move."
It ain't mine...agreed.
Can I move it?
Yes, I can.
Rent your TV? Not yours, but I think you can move it...
Lease your car? Not yours, but useless if you can't move it...
It's down to degree, methinks...
Got a gas meter? Not yours. Can you move it? Nope, it's different, it needs skills, equipment, and there is a risk to life if you make a mess of it...

You are entitled to your opinion...
I to mine...
I do feel that a BT master socket is in a different and minor league though...
Oh, and I find the use of the word "ignorant" somewhat annoying and falling outwith the forum criteria, but as it matters not to me, I'll just ignore it...
see what I did there?

Reply to Moved a BT master socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock