Discuss Moved a BT master socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

To those who have cut a live BT cable when moving a master, did you ring and slit the cable, then cut the wires individually, or just chop the cable with your regular wire cutters/shears, thereby causing a split second short circuit at the exchange?

Touch an old ISDN line at -96v DC and then tell me it's very low risk!! Believe me, it's not pleasant!!
Not "many" people will have an ISDN line at home and when moving a master socket treat it the same as a live cable, cut very carefully or remove the ends from the socket and tape up until you re krone.

not for long, ill have a set like jimmy carr

EECXZ3RTAFHDTLVV72OHH4PFA4.jpg

Maybe we could debate whether it's ok to adjust/realign a Sky dish?
Given how long they take to come out, sometimes...
I think the one I originally had would belong to Sky, but that has long since rotted away and been replaced by a nice new one I bought from my local aerial installer, who also fitted it, of course. (I'm not one for heights.)
Sky told me 4 weeks before they could come out... because it's on a chimney at 2 storeys high and they need 4 men and a cherry-picker or somesuch nonsense...local chap came next day, ran a ladder up, sorted it, £30, job done. I even saw him do his risk assessment first...glanced up, shook the ladder, decided it was fine, and up he went. Strange to say, although I never did cancel the Sky appointment, nobody ever arrived. I guess they can tell from their end if all is well...

The reason that I posted regarding I thought it was a criminal offence to tamper with the public network is that I remember years ago on That's Life them doing an item regarding someone who kept on getting billed for a long list of international calls and they were arguing to BT on behalf of this person that they had not made these calls. It turned out that someone was cutting into the cable outside/box and connecting to the line.

Maybe we could debate whether it's ok to adjust/realign a Sky dish?
Given how long they take to come out, sometimes...
I think the one I originally had would belong to Sky, but that has long since rotted away and been replaced by a nice new one I bought from my local aerial installer, who also fitted it, of course. (I'm not one for heights.)
Sky told me 4 weeks before they could come out... because it's on a chimney at 2 storeys high and they need 4 men and a cherry-picker or somesuch nonsense...local chap came next day, ran a ladder up, sorted it, £30, job done. I even saw him do his risk assessment first...glanced up, shook the ladder, decided it was fine, and up he went. Strange to say, although I never did cancel the Sky appointment, nobody ever arrived. I guess they can tell from their end if all is well...
I think that's why you are tied in for a time period it pays for the equipment so after that time period it is yours so after that period if it goes wrong they charge you.

I find BT/Openreach engineers don't give a monkeys if you do it. On numerous jobs they have done it temporary and said your spark can sort that out sure...

bloody heck.. started this thread and its turned into a right contentious issue.... people disagreeing with one and other... Its just a phone socket not the local exchange...
But babies and kittens will die and armageddon is on the way as you "moved" the BT Master socket 3 inches to the left...........

I have moved a gas cooker and extended the pipe but not the meter, the gas board meter readers can have the fun of banging their heads on the stairs on the way down to the basement, the spiders are friendly.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned the small risk of electrocution from a lightning stroke, striking an exposed telecoms cable on the nearby network I.e. Drop wire.

Also, the exchange will run sporadic line checks (usually in the small hours) to detect line faults; if you’re work coincides with one of these you may have an open reach engineer visiting.

Reply to Moved a BT master socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net