Discuss How to get phone signal and internet in basement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I’m wondering if anyone could help me I basically moved into a rental property February this year I’ve been unable to get internet I’ve had open reach engineers quite me 3k for 3 poles to get internet down to the basement flat I’m living in. I can’t afford it so I’ve been balancing my mobile phone on the back door (the only place it will get signal for the last few months to use hotspot for my ps5 and fire stick. I can’t answer calls in the flat and it’s really stressful I’ve been looking at phone signal boosters but that would only allow me to use the phone in the flat and still would have no internet connection does anybody know of a better way I could maybe do it ? 😇 Thanks

I assume you don't have a phone line or fibre connection in the basement, is that what BT were quoting for?

You'll still have a monthly Data charge, but no rent for the router

I assume you don't have a phone line or fibre connection in the basement, is that what BT were quoting for?

You'll still have a monthly Data charge, but no rent for the router
Would this be any good? Or would I need anything stronger

Attachments

• 6823654C-DC64-4E2F-928E-5A2635F6B264.png
    570.7 KB · Views: 4
Would this be any good? Or would I need anything stronger
You need 4G router with external antena such as this:

Then you need one of those "sim only" plan £10-£15 per month with unlimited data and you will insert this sim card into the router. Alternatively speak to your existing mobile provider if they can give you second sim to use only for data.

When all set you can connect your devices to your router over WiFi or LAN to access internet.

We had the use of one of these for a while and it worked surprisingly well, but this model may be obsolete now:
It is PoE so in your basement, etc, you would need with a PoE injector or switch with PoE socket and then a run of network cable to the unit and then some router with wifi, etc.

A few ideas:

Have a look to see if you can see any other WiFi networks on your phone. It would be pretty unusual for a building to have no phone line at all, so if you just don't have one in your flat perhaps it is a converted building and there is a phone line to one of your neighbours. Talk to them nicely and they might let you share their WiFi if it already reaches into your flat.

Another option: see if Virgin Media cable is available in your area. They might charge rather less for the installation as it is much more common for them to need to run a cable from the street.

Reply to How to get phone signal and internet in basement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net