Discuss How not to standard is this rewire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The 1 day Re-wire guy from Scotland him and his team appeared to do work to a reasonable standard , a bit rough when it came to chasing out walls but I don;t remember seeing him bury connector strip in the walls and under the skirting boards
The Scotland rewire is not the 1 day rewire video I was thinking of. The one I'm thinking of used no furniture or carpet protection when chasing, and directly plastered over the new wiring which was singles throughout.

A pity the plasterer didn’t pipe up with “ this looks a bit rough” before he covered it up.

Getting your money back seems unlikely, but depending on local trading standards office… there may be some comeback.
Solicitor?
Local MP?

I hate these crooked tradesmen. Taking advantage of the general public.
Get onto the BBC Rough Traders or whatever.

Any chance of a photo of consumer unit?
There are rcd times listed, but no rcd on the certificate. (Might be a dual rcd board, but it still should be listed)

Might was well wipe your arse with paperwork when the workmanship is so shockingly bad

I think we get too hung up on what the paper work / Certs reads like

I would rather a decent job be the focus

Might was well wipe your arse with paperwork when the workmanship is so shockingly bad

I think we get too hung up on what the paper work / Certs reads like

I would rather a decent job be the focus
On the same understanding, if the paperwork is bad, then it’s likely corners were cut with the actual job as well.

The certificate is part of the job… just as much as making sure sockets are level.
It has its own chapter in the regs, and the job isn’t complete until the certs are done.

On the same understanding, if the paperwork is bad, then it’s likely corners were cut with the actual job as well.

The certificate is part of the job… just as much as making sure sockets are level.
It has its own chapter in the regs, and the job isn’t complete until the certs are done.
But would you rather a really net well installed Re-wire with a scruffy cert
Or

A shambles of a shocking rough arse re-wire with a neatly printed off cert

I know which I would prefer to walk into...

Most members of the public dont understand the need for the certificate... but it should be stressed its an important document.
Most members of the public dont understand the need for safe zones, cable sizing, OCPD sizing, RCD requirements, SPD requirements, etc etc... they just want it working, and as you say... looks good in the end...

But as our OP has found out, a few new clean sockets does not a rewire make.

Most members of the public dont understand the need for the certificate... but it should be stressed its an important document.
Most members of the public dont understand the need for safe zones, cable sizing, OCPD sizing, RCD requirements, SPD requirements, etc etc... they just want it working, and as you say... looks good in the end...

But as our OP has found out, a few new clean sockets does not a rewire make.
This is the consumer unit - can anyone see anything wrong in this?
7EDB994D-5A2C-45AC-9821-440B97302405.jpeg

A pity the plasterer didn’t pipe up with “ this looks a bit rough” before he covered it up.

Getting your money back seems unlikely, but depending on local trading standards office… there may be some comeback.
Solicitor?
Local MP?

I hate these crooked tradesmen. Taking advantage of the general public.
Get onto the BBC Rough Traders or whatever.

Any chance of a photo of consumer unit?
There are rcd times listed, but no rcd on the certificate. (Might be a dual rcd board, but it still should be listed)
Can I kick off with a design question? What do we think about 20A for the kitchen with no separate appliance circuit(s)?
It’s a 20A for the kitchen sockets & a 30 for the cooker

Attachments

• 2E63DFF4-0AAE-4EAA-A3EE-C0DCD9659590.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 35
To be fair, I have seen a LOT WORSE than that, it looks like it has been installed by someone who has some pride in their work.

if I had to nit pick,
there is too much copper on show where the cables exit the circuit breakers.
no surge protection
i think 20A radials x3 is a bit mean for a house, especially a kitchen.

Can I kick off with a design question? What do we think about 20A for the kitchen with no separate appliance circuit(s)?

I think it could be quite a bold choice considering the ease with which a 32A socket circuit could have been installed and the potential for all manner of appliances and gadgets to be used.

But having said that I know my own kitchen would be absolutely fine with just a 20A radial, in fact my entire flat would be fine on one 20A.

So he knows about this then!? 😂 what scheme are they with and has he notified the works under oath p?….please don’t hold ya breath! Where did you find this lot??
Well he does now - he said he’ll come sort it Monday but was trying to talk himself out of it on the phone - NAPIT is who hes registered with

Reply to How not to standard is this rewire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net