Discuss How not to standard is this rewire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He is supposedly coming tomorrow to fix it - or do you think it’s too bad for him to simply “just fix”? If I were to take legal advice would I need to get someone to come out an inspect it?
The concern is he previously said it was ok to join cables with connector blocks wrapped in tape. I'm not aware that this has ever been an approved practice. (Though it was normal to tape soldered joints used on cleated wiring for example, but that has been obsolete for at least 60 years.)

This isn't a simple mistake someone has made. There are several problems shown in the photos of the connectors and it appears they were deliberately intended to be that way. No one for example accidentally cuts all the earth wires out of cables they are joining.

And is he going to retest the entire installation, and fill in the Electrical Installation Certificate fully and correctly? As a rewire is notifiable work, he must then provide a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate (this certificate will take a few days to come through).

Edit: Most legal advice, and advice from the most membership schemes will be to give the company a chance to correct all the problems first, then the legal action comes after that if the problems are not corrected properly.

He is supposedly coming tomorrow to fix it - or do you think it’s too bad for him to simply “just fix”? If I were to take legal advice would I need to get someone to come out an inspect it?
Don't let him touch it. @UNG has offered his services to look at this and I suggest you take him up on is offer. Anyone who undertakes work like this is masquerading as an electrician and is dangerous.

If it were my house I would sack off the original electricians and pay a proper electrician to come round , check everthing , test everyting and re-wire the bits that need re-wiring

A “just fix” may mean just making it harder to find the bodges.

For a few hundred quid, get a reputable electrician to perform an EICR on the installation as it stands… one that will stand up in court if it comes to it.

You’re going to have a fight on your hands… but these people need rooted out of the industry and punished.

A “just fix” may mean just making it harder to find the bodges.

For a few hundred quid, get a reputable electrician to perform an EICR on the installation as it stands… one that will stand up in court if it comes to it.

You’re going to have a fight on your hands… but these people need rooted out of the industry and punished.
I wouldn't hold my breath thou , I have seen and tried to help home owners get sh!t work looked at by the Scams and never has one reported case that I have know of come to anything.
In every single case the homeowner has had to pay twice to get the sh!it original work full re-done by another electrician

I wouldn't hold my breath thou , I have seen and tried to help home owners get sh!t work looked at by the Scams and never has one reported case that I have know of come to anything.
In every single case the homeowner has had to pay twice to get the sh!it original work full re-done by another electrician
It's sad that this is common. At one point we were following around a company carrying out awful work redoing and correcting etc. We tried to report them to their membership scheme but were told we couldn't as we didn't order the work. Most elderly customers don't want the extra stress of reporting, and end up paying twice. Fortunately the company is no longer trading.

Another local company was carrying out appalling fire alarm alterations, often leaving previously working systems with faults they couldn't find. It was common to find EOL devices moved to the control panel on systems they had worked on. I've just seen they are also now out of business, thank goodness.

If you take legal advice then they will advise you on what you must do, or can do, as a next step in this.

As far as I know, and this is not legal advice, the start of the process is to make a formal complaint and allow them the opportunity to put right any unsatisfactory work.

No doubt there is some rubbish work involved, here.
But....I would never, ever, ever arrange to pay cash for a job without knowing and trusting the recipient of said cash.
All should know about quick jobs for cash. It's an invitation for crap work and rogues.
There is also the VAT avoidance issue. He must be VAT registered if avoiding it...and that could cause all sorts of problems. An arrangement to avoid would be very interesting for a certain HMRC.

I’d definitely recommend legal advice, and I think I’d approach in this order…

1. Put in writing to him that you have concerns and why they are and that you’d like them rectified
2. Arrange for another reputable spark to inspect and report on the install as it stands, take loads of pictures, if @UNG has offered take him up on that offer
3. Now go back to the original installer with the report and give him in writing the chance to rectify, personally I think at this stage he will break contact once he realises an actual electrician has been involved.
4 give him a week or two and keep logging your contact attempts
5. Now you can contact solicitors, his scheme, trading standards and building control

I’ve recently been involved in putting right works by a cowboy builder who fleeced the customer for £30k for some absolutely shocking works, they actually got him to court and he was prosecuted, he ended up with an 18 month suspended sentence for issuing an EIC for the electrical works despite not being an electrician!

It's not the worst install i've ever seen but there are some things on it that others have mentioned already.
He's not fit to touch any electrical installation.

Reply to How not to standard is this rewire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net