Discuss Standard junction boxes with screw terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

impish15

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi,

Hopefully I haven't made an error but I was speaking with another electrician and he said standard junction boxes with screw terminals can no longer be used anymore, is this true? I wasn't aware of this.

I fitted 2 in a loft last week (to replace a connection just wrapped up in tape) as that's what the customer brought now i'm thinking am I going to have to go back and replace and something like a wago junction box. The junction boxes I fitted are accessible and fixed not sure if that makes a difference?

Thanks in advance

The difference being the cable needs to be secured.

Wago boxes have built in strain relief so if the cable pulls, it doesnt strain on the joint itself.

If the junction box is secured, and the cables are firmly clipped before entering the box, there shouldnt be an issue.

Wholesalers still supply those types of joint boxes, so they must still be acceptable to use

The difference being the cable needs to be secured.

Wago boxes have built in strain relief so if the cable pulls, it doesnt strain on the joint itself.

If the junction box is secured, and the cables are firmly clipped before entering the box, there shouldnt be an issue.

Wholesalers still supply those types of joint boxes, so they must still be acceptable to use
ok thanks for the clarification on this.

Reply to Standard junction boxes with screw terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Everyone, Sorry in advance if this is a silly question. There is a junction box in my mother's kitchen, on the wall above her kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to install a new bathroom extractor fan in my bathroom as I have a windowless bathroom and the current one I have installed in...
Replies
Views
I dropped my multi-tool onto a 10/3 wire yesterday when removing some rotted flooring in a mobile home. I could see a bit of copper so I don't...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to swap out a damaged 30A junction box on an existing ring main circuit and thought I'd replace it with Wago 221 connectors and a Wago...
Replies
Views
I collect old Electrical Fittings and I recently acquired this vintage Junction Box (photos attached). I've been trying to figure out how it would...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock