Discuss Can I install a new light switch from a 3amp fused box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rawsox8

DIY
Reaction score
Want to install a new permanent fixed wire light into a 3amp box.
Box has my new combi running from it and that's it. It's a wardrobe cupboard where the old hot water cylinder lived. Box is wall mounted and 3amp fused.
If I ran a 1.5mm twin and earth from it to a new light switch and then connect that to a new batten light fitting. Would that be ok?!

Or should I go into the loft move all my partner's crap in boxes away from the joists where the ring circuit lives and tap into that with a 3 terminal junction box?! And divert that to a switch and batten?!

I'm hoping the 3amp box is the way forward! Quicker and easier for me Haha.
Cheers

Your first idea. You can easily come off the same supply as the combi... with the 3A fuse protecting the combi AND your new circuit... Then go to a simple one way switch, then up to the light.

To take power from the RFC you would still need to fuse down to 3A. Unnecessary extra work.

Your first idea. You can easily come off the same supply as the combi... with the 3A fuse protecting the combi AND your new circuit... Then go to a simple one way switch, then up to the light.

To take power from the RFC you would still need to fuse down to 3A. Unnecessary extra work.
Perfect as I thought. Just checking all the regs are good for it.
Cheers for that

Reply to Can I install a new light switch from a 3amp fused box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, i live in a new build house where they builders have left a junction box on the outside of my house. In the junction box there is a 6mm twin...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
I am adding a light fixture in a room I am restoring in my 160 yo house. I have ran a new 12-2 w/ground wire from the ceiling box to a junction...
Replies
Views
I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views
Hello I have some decking lights which to be fair, have been nothing but pain in the bottom since they were installed. Moisture in the lens lamps...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock