Discuss Newly wired ceiling light blinks in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

skcj213

DIY
Reaction score
I am adding a light fixture in a room I am restoring in my 160 yo house. I have ran a new 12-2 w/ground wire from the ceiling box to a junction box where I am tapping into an existing wire that goes to another room. In the junction box, I have attached all white wires together, including the new one from the ceiling box, and have attached a black pigtail to the hot wire coming in and the hot wire going to the other room. I then wired a switch to the black pigtail and to the black going to the light fixture. When I turn on the light fixture, the light blinks. It is a steady blink which an extended pause off after every 5 blinks. I have checked the wire from the junction box to the ceiling box by tying the black and white together at the junction box and checking resistance and continuity. It checks ok. What could be causing the lights to blink?

BTW the lights in the room that is fed by the wire I tapped into work fine.

Is this A smart light? Sounds like an error code or part of the setup routine?

Is this A smart light? Sounds like an error code or part of the setup routine?
It is not a smart light. Originally I was using a Lutron Caseta dimmer but to eliminate it as a possible problem I tried a simple mechanical switch. The lights still blink. I am using incandescent bulbs.

Reply to Newly wired ceiling light blinks in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have 2 lights connected to 1 switch. I installed a led light fixture on one light, it had one red wire and one black wires. It was easy to match...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
Hi, I am installing a new bathroom fan. We had an electrician who ran 14/3 into a junction box. The black feeds a led light and the red was...
Replies
Views
I have an outdoor light I am trying to hookup. There are two wires coming in with a white, black and ground. One is coming from the breaker and...
Replies
Views
Hello, my house was built in the 1950s and every time I look behind a wall plate the wiring isn’t how it’s shown in any DIY book I’ve read. I’m...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock